Black Molly is hiding from me!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha, you are very welcome. I just like to be able to help out fellow fishlovers. We all were beginners once, and if we don't help each other out, who else can we obsess over our fish with?!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Exactly!! Right now I have all three Platy separated from the others by tank divider. Is that okay? That's what the Petsmart people told me to do. How long before I should expect some fry?

Platys will eat their own fry, so separating them isn't really doing much. She probably has 1-2 weeks still. You will notice her looking kind of square from the front when she is about to pop. The typically gestation cycle for them is about 28 days.

When she gets squarish what do I need to do? Also should I keep the divider in? It's a pain to put in/ take out. I have a 1g tank, will that be okay to keep the fry in? It doesn't have a filter, I was thinking often water changes? Also will it need a heater for the fry? I have a heater for it.

What are your plans for the fry? A 1 gallon won't last very long if she has a big birth load as they grow rather quickly. They definitely need a heater, and no filter is ok, if you can do daily water changes. Most heaters will get a tank that small too hot, so let it run for a few days and test the temperature to see.

I would personally just leave the most pregnant fish by itself on one side of the divider if you don't want to take it out, then watch her closely once she's squared off. When she had the babies, net them out as quick as you can before she eats them. Some kind of floating plant cover in that portion of the tank would be a good idea so they can hide if they are born when you aren't around.

I would really like to raise them. My heater is for a beta tank so... I really am lost.

Just fill the 1 gallon with water, and leave the heater running in there for at least 24 hours, then check the water temperature. If it gets above 80 degrees, I would look for an alternative.

Could my Molly be pregnant? This is the best picture I have. She's kind of fat. Somebody just suggested that to me. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395289881.582384.jpg

Okay maybe two more questions, lol sorry. If I move my Molly into a larger tank, could I get any other fish? My brother wants a fish or two . He's much younger than me he's only 8.

I can't really tell from the picture, but she definitely could be, especially if she is a female and was kept with males at the store. I remember the 3 platys and 2 glofish... is that the rest of what's in your tank?

Yes that's all! Also can I put a snail as well as one or two other fish? As I said my brother wants some fish lol.

I would wait about 2 weeks since you introduced the most recent fish, just to make sure they weren't sick and don't infect anyone.
You could definitely do a snail or 2.... I have Zebra Nerites in my 10 gallon tanks and they are great little algae cleaners.
Is there a certain type of fish he is interested in?

He wants something not to expensive, really pretty, and won't look like my fish. Lol. He is currently mad at me because I won't let him have a goldfish or a balloon Molly. So HELP please.

It's so hard to please an 8 year old, I'm more like a mother to him than a sister because we are 10 years apart, he stays at my apartment with me most the time, and I'm preggo. So please help me satisfy him!! I'm also going to try to get a better pic of my Molly.

You could probably do a few chili rasboras or celestial pearl danios. They are small schooling fish and look really neat. Have him check them out :)

I'm about to show him now! How many would you add since they are a schooling fish? Also here's more pics of Molly if it helps at all. As you can see she is currently hiding again. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395291093.635125.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395291156.813503.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395291208.688898.jpg

Back
Top Bottom