Black Moor ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaowl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a person tell me today about their fish, supposedly a black moor, and describes a 'bulging eyes and fan tail'.

Anyway this fish is killing other fish in the tank(don't know what tankmates were). I was under the impression a black moor was similar to a fancy goldfish & wouldn't consider either an aggressive fish, namely kill tankmates.

Am I wrong-- or does this person have some other kind of fish? I have 2 'bug-eyed' fantails that I considered the dumbest pair of fish in the tank.

I've never heard of that- I have a black moor and he and my fantail are basically the most peaceful fish I have. I could be wrong.

It could be that he has the fish in with small tetras or something, and goldies will eat small fish, won't they, Lance M?

If they are overcrowded (fancy fish require 10 gallons each I believe) then it is possible for them to become territorial especially if they are being housed with a fish smaller than themselves. All fish will nibble on sick fish as well, as they will also eat fish small enough to fit into their mouths. Goldfish can be the most peaceful fish, though if in the wrong conditions can become slightly aggresive.

In my experience, Goldfish can be quite mean. My comets picked on my fantail for a short period of time, although they do get along well now (in a larger tank, I might add).

A black moor is a fancy goldfish. They can be aggressive, although it is rare. Black moors have poor eyesight and are not the best swimmers- it would be my guess that he has the moor in with some fin-nipping fish (barbs, etc.) and that the moor is acting in self-defense. This is why goldies and trops should not be housed together :(

Yes they could sometimes accidentally eat small fish. They usually just suck in anything that they come upon. I've seen mine eat gravel sometimes and I know that they love to small snails. They can sometimes develop bad eyesite when they get older or in poor tank conditions were they would get acidosis.

Your gravel story reminded me of an episode with a friend's goldfish (sorry, a bit off-topic).

My friend is a veterinary surgeon, and when he saw his goldfish swimming backwards looking like he was trying to spit something out, he got out his surgical forceps, we pulled the fish out, and he reached in and pulled a chunk of gravel out of the poor thing's throat. AFAIK the fish is still doing fine today.

Lol. I had the same problem about a year ago (when the black moor was like 2.5 inches). It got a piece of gravel stuck in its mouth, so I pulled him out of the tank with the net and forced the gravel out with my fingers. He probably would have died :( but he's fine now :wink:

Maybe I heard wrong but I thought that goldfish gave off amonia and that they were not to be put with other FW fish???

Goldfish do give off a lot of ammonia and they are coldwater FW fish. They need a lot of room- like that 2.5gal you have is too small. Recommended size tank for goldfish is at least 20 gal. per fully grown goldfish. Most people don't suggest to mix coldwater fish with tropical fish, but if you do it right you can.

A black moor is definitely a goldfish. I am not sure what makes a black moor a black moor, as opposed to a black telescope eyed goldfish (which to me is the same thing) - perhaps breeding lineage?

Anyway, my experience with them is that they are extremely peaceful and tame... I've yet to see an aggressive one.

Back
Top Bottom