Black moor advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe-turbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

New here looking for some advise. My partner has had a black moor fish got around 4 years now. but we have noticed he has developed a white spot on his nose and under his eye.

I read that aquarium salt could help? He has not been in salt water in the time my partner has had him.

So couple of questions, how do I work out the tank capacity,

Can I add tapsafe at the same time as the salt?

Thanks

first up u need to work out what it is have a look into ich. are the white spots fuzzy if so look into fungal treatments aquarium salt can help with ich i donno aboit fungas though you have to get it diagnosed first.

I will spend a bit more time reading into ich, but in general should my aquarium have a mix of aquarium salt?

Hi! Salt is not a necessity in a fw tank. It should be used and respected as medicine because it can potentially have long term negative health effects with continued use (nephric, endocrine & metabolic disorders). That aside, you can please provide us with some more information so we can better understand your situation? The tank size, filtration, tankmates, water change schedule, diet and water parameters (levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph) will help alot to figure out if theres something amiss with the health of the tank. Pictures of the issue would really help or a better explanation of the symptoms (is there white fuzziness, white tufts of hair, redness, sores, spots, flashing, changes in behavior/appetite, etc) would help as well. If you have had this fish for four years, I highly doubt its ich unless a new fish was introduced recently. Some more information will help us to help you better! :)

Many thanks for your detailed reply.

Bit of background on the fish, my gf has owned him 4years and he was originally in small bowl with no filter so lots of water changes required.

image-2569494508.jpg

We have recently moved in together to a new home and was given another tank with filter (not sure what make), the tank measures height 20cm x depth 20cm x length 40cm which I believe works out to 16 litres/4.2 gallon? I understand this is still quite a small tank.

image-60529274.jpg

We only have the one fish, She has been feeding him "Wilko fishy feast goldfish food", we do also have "aquasafe for goldfish"(assume the water should be mixed up with this first before adding to the tank?). I have recently purchased "interpret aqualibrium" as I thought aquarium salt may be necessary but have not added this yet. Not sure how to get the water specifics (never had a fish before)

image-2258486910.jpg

Close up photo of bob

image-1477281189.jpg

Definitely. That's a great kit to have. Its a lot more accurate than the test strips and you can keep track of your own paramaters on your own instead of relying on a petstore that only wants to sell you more fish.

Black moor's can get to be 8 inches or more. For all fancy goldfish (orandas, ryukin, black moor, etc) you want at least a 20 gallon tank for the first fish, and an additional ten gallons for every fish after that. (20= 1 fish, 30=2 fish, 40= 3 fish, etc).

Goldfish are pretty hardy and they CAN survive being in a small area for a long time, BUT, it negatively impacts their health, their behavior, and their life span. Most people find that their goldfish only last a couple of years in a small bowl, whereas in the proper habitat, some goldfish have been known to exceed twenty years in age.

Kit now ordered, hopefully will come through soon.

After spending some time on the forum I have come accross cycling. Im pretty sure this has never been done. Should this be done on a small tank like this or should I wait to get a larger tank?

As I said before, I know nothing about fish so this is all new to me, been thrown in at the deep end lol

Good job ordering the testing kit! Due to him being moved to a new, uncycled tank, the white areas may be slime coat damage from high ammonia and/or nitrite levels or it could be the beginnings of a bacterial infection (once again, due to high toxin levels). I would suggest doing a 50% water change daily with temperature matched, properly conditioned water until you get your test kit & can monitor what exactly what is happening in your tank. Temperature matching is matching the temp of the new water to the temp of the tank (use either a thermometer or your hand). Using water conditioner to condition the new water is a must- I would condition the new water before adding it to the tank because its not a large amount. Also, make sure you are not changing the filter cartridges. They only need to be swished in some used tank water once every week or two (never use tap water). They will eventually house the largest portion of your good bacteria.

Lets see if he can heal up on his own with just healthy water. If you notice the white areas getting fuzzier or larger, let us know asap! Heres the fish-in cycle link as well with some more information.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Ok, I'll give that a go for the next few days. He seems pretty content. I mentioned treating the water to my other half. We took 2 gallons out of the fish tank, added 1teaspoon and put the water back in. (I'm assuming we should of chucked the water we took out and added new). I'll do that tomoz.

As for the filter, is there much to choose from? I know nothing about the filter fitted but the tank does seem clean. ( I assumed the filter cartridge would need replacing now and then)

Test kit still not arrived :-(

On top of that the filter has been getting louder and louder. It's now making a racket, having to turn the tv up quite loud. Any recommendations?

Put the media in a bucket of tank water & remove the housing & clean it (no soap- just hot water). Make sure the impeller/tubing is well cleaned & free of debris. Something stuck in the impeller is usually behind noisy filters.

right, I have recieved my testing kit and numbers are as follows

PH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate N02 0
Nitrate N03 10

I disconnected the filter, took it apart, washed it all out with hot water but still very noisy. its a "RENA", im pretty sure its the same as this one Rena SuperClean 40 Internal Aquarium Filter - Inc 7 x API Rena Crystal Size 1 on eBay!

Its in three pieces, the motor in the top, but what is the middle and bottom part?

I am not familiar with this filter so I am not going to be of much help here. Your numbers indicate your in the cycling process with .25 ammonia present. Stay on top of your daily tests & water changes to keep your amm/nitrite under .25ppm until your tank stabilizes. :)

Is the ph level something to be concerned about? I read that ph for goldfish should be around 7.5?

No worries at about your ph as long as it stays stable! Despite what you may have read, Goldie's actually do a bit better in alkaline, higher ph water. Preferred by most breeders, btw! :)

Back
Top Bottom