Black Mystery Snail Worries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a black mystery snail from my LPS this afternoon to eat the algae in my betta's tank. It hasn't come out of it's shell yet, and its evening now. Is this normal, or is the snail sick? I can see the snail inside so it isn't an empty shell, but it hasn't moved yet. Any advice?

Some snails aren't as active as others. I have a yellow snail that moves all over the tank but I have a black snail that hardly moves, both are mystery snails. In the morning if it still hasn't moved pick it up and see if it falls out of its shell or if it smells REALLY bad. If that happens then it has died but other than that just keep an eye on it. My black one also likes to float on the top of the water for a day or so, so don't freak out if that happens too. :)

Hi thanks a bunch. I'll do that in the morning if it still hasn't come out. Also, I added the snail much later than the Betta, and my Betta can be a little aggressive. He's always flaring at his neighbors should the snail be okay since it was added after?

Snails come out more at night, turn the light off and check later on. I have many snails and sometimes they just enjoy lasting around.

Keep an eye on it. My betta doesn't mind anything else being in his tank but it just depends on the betta's temperament. If he starts nipping at it you might have to rehome your snail.

Okay thank you! I actually bought four, one for each Betta tank. In one of my betta's tanks I can see antennae now that it's dark out and in another I saw it move inside it's shell. Its the last two I'm worried about they haven't moved since. I'll update again tomorrow

Good news! This morning, I saw that all four snails had been out and about last night. A lot of the algae was gone too. They did a pretty good job. The bettas haven't been much of a problem. They are just very curious and have been observing the snails. My female Betta picked at it's antenna once but otherwise left it alone. Just worried that the snail won't find food once all the algae is gone. Do you think they'll be able to find food once they finish the algae?

I'm glad they're ok. I throw an algae tab in my tank so they have something to munch on. I used to put it in there for just my cory cats but the snails go to it as soon as I throe it in and hog it all to themselves.

How's your snail doing? I found my black one dead yesterday. I've got to get me another one now. I've had that one a while though.

Hi they're all good. They're doing a wonderful job eating up the algae and i give them some lettuce that they like to munch on. Unfortunately, the betta does too and I had to play tug of war with him to get him to drop it. I love them a lot!

Try giving him a pea. Just take a frozen one and pulled the sink off of it and smush it up. All of my fish love them.

Back
Top Bottom