black or white sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had White sand and whilst it looked awesome with live plants, it was a nightmare to keep clean. I have since got a bigger tank and moved over to black gravel.

I wouldn't go with pool filter sand. I'm no expert by ANY means but from what I've heard/read pool filter sand is a very bad idea. I don't exactly remember why but there's some downsides to it. Just givin you a heads up to research it first.

You may be confusing Pool Filter Sand (coarser grain) with Play Sand (finer grained) Many members here use PFS and have no negative effects ... it's large enough to avoid clouding up like Play Sand does, but small enough to provide a stable substrate for Plant roots to cling to.

Play sand tend to cloud up easily as it is finer, more dust like than PFS.

Sand has never affected any of my ph and when cleaning u huvr over the sand ...i haven't lost or added sand in a year its actually easier to clean....and the air pocket thing I've heard of never seen it but if that's a worry u just get trumpiter snails and they mix the sand so that u have none.....ime sand is easier than gravel

+1 with xfactor6699 - PFS is a great substrate option.

+1
Silica (SiO2) is the major compound in almost any sand, usually in the form of quartz. There are other silicates present in sand, which may cause a short diatom bloom, but that's about it. PFS just has a more consistent grain size and less clay than regular play sand.

--Adeeb

Picked the tank up today - check out this beast

Attachments

• image-191309601.jpg
    image-191309601.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 222
Nice tank! I did both, it's gonna be really hard for me to keep it like this though, and ime sand is way easier to clean.

Attachments

• image-2358421115.jpg
    image-2358421115.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 212
Rinzy said:
Picked the tank up today - check out this beast

That is HUGE :) got to love it.!!

I'm doing sand and gravel in my new tank kinda like an area and path of gravel but mostly sand :) It isn't my best... Lol

Also.... The PFS I got from home depot is actually more reddish than white... Thought I'd drop that in. Lol

Big Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

I will go with black and white mix.
Where do I get the sand from??? It's expensive at my LFS. $40/ bag.

I think I'm going to try to find a natural looking PFS so it's not too bright and put some large black river rocks for contrast

Rinzy said:
I think I'm going to try to find a natural looking PFS so it's not too bright and put some large black river rocks for contrast

I did that in one of my tanks... Looked really cool

Rinzy said:

That's what I have in mine. For the pfs try a pool supply like Leslie's. Cost me about 12 bucks per 50 pounds.

Heera said:
Plz post some pics to give us few ideas

img_1474233_0_8b727aacf1e5f6c442409ca30119edac.jpg

img_1474233_1_8ec4a06c50ae557534cffafc3f314957.jpg

img_1474233_2_db604a730b701cc5d88e1e57e47e3bc8.jpg

img_1474233_3_e6e6ee7c0e4644c5a1cf80c6c14fd5ad.jpg

img_1474233_4_57aab9a24cede1ac2a384efd90d0c216.jpg

img_1474233_5_1beac94acbf35055c0075b4e1e6695b1.jpg

The last is a new one I'm working on with a little gravel... ( using what I got lol )

Flossie said:
The last is a new one I'm working on with a little gravel... ( using what I got lol )

Wow! Beautiful tanks.
What kind of sand and where u got it from,$ if possible.

Heera said:
Wow! Beautiful tanks.
What kind of sand and where u got it from,$ if possible.

Thanks :) um the really white sand was some PFS that my dad already had... The darker looking sand I got from home depot. 50lbs for around 5 or 8 dollars I can't remember probably closer to 5or 6ish It's awesome :)

Oh and I got those river stones at the dollar tree... There are 5 bags of riverstones in my 55g and one bag of brown in my 10g

Back
Top Bottom