Black or white sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought white sand and lighter gravel to use as the substrate for my 29 gallon but I'm reading that black is much better? I've heard that white sand reflects a lot of light (I have a Finnex. fugeray planted+), stresses fish out, causes more algae and washes out the color of fish? I really liked the white sand because it felt more airy but I don't want bright lights piercing everywhere and washing my fishes' color.

Im integrated in(not sure yet)---
Honey gourami
Tetras (maybe rummynose)
Cherry barbs
Peacock gudgeon
Dwarf cichlid
Dwarf rainbow fish

Would they like black sand better? Thanks

I use white sand in one of my discus tanks. I havent had any of the issues your worried about. I also use white sand in one of my 55gl peacock cichlid tanks. I think youll be ok.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im not sure what kind of sand you got exactly, but personally i us play sand which is white but not bleach white and have never experienced those problems

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

It depends on your stocking. Fish that like low-light conditions, such as black-water tetras, prefer dark-colored sand. Other than that, it's personal preference.

The one caveat is that many discus owners use light-colored sand because it prevents "peppering." (Discus in tanks with dark sand naturally develop small black spots to blend in better with their environment.)

It depends on your stocking. Fish that like low-light conditions, such as black-water tetras, prefer dark-colored sand. Other than that, it's personal preference.

The one caveat is that many discus owners use light-colored sand because it prevents "peppering." (Discus in tanks with dark sand naturally develop small black spots to blend in better with their environment.)

Grrrr...... I have/had many many discus in with black substrate without this peppering issue. Ive also seen peppering, but not in mine. So im on the fence with this whole dark substrate causing peppering thing. Ive seen peppering in discus that are in bare bottoms. Im still researching this personally, as im very curious abt it and have been for yrs. It just seems there is alot of conflicting info on it.

Does anybody over here have white sand where their fish were stressed from reflecting light from a bright fixture/washed out colors?

No, and i have 2 large tanks with white sand.

Grrrr...... I have/had many many discus in with black substrate without this peppering issue. Ive also seen peppering, but not in mine. So im on the fence with this whole dark substrate causing peppering thing. Ive seen peppering in discus that are in bare bottoms. Im still researching this personally, as im very curious abt it and have been for yrs. It just seems there is alot of conflicting info on it.

I will defer to you on this one.

FWIW, the discus at my LFS are peppered and the substrate is relatively light in color.

There are nany cases of peppering in light substrate or even no substrate. I think it has more to do with genes, but at times i dont. Grrrr........

Theres a lot of fish that will change color basednon the substrate, theres no reason discus would be different. Im sure genes have something to do with it, i certainly wouldnt rule it out because it doesn't happen to all of them. Its more irritating when people equate the substrate caused peppering with stress from having a dark substrate.
Does anybody over here have white sand where their fish were stressed from reflecting light from a bright fixture/washed out colors?
Its not stress but it can wash out colors a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom