Black Phantom Tetra vs. Tiger Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will tiger barbs go after my black phantom tetra males. I plan to have a school of seven small tigers. Also, will green (mossy) tiger barbs school with the regular striped kind. If so I'd like about 4 striped and 3 green, if you think it will work.

Your green tiger barbs will school with the regular tiger barbs, no problem. I'm wondering what size tank you have. As a general rule, Tiger Barbs and Black Phantom's will go well together in tanks larger than 29 gallons. Keeping Tiger Barbs in a tank any smaller than this can be extremely difficult, because they need a ton of swimming space to curb their nippiness.

You say that you "plan to have" a school of 7 Tiger Barbs. I am assuming that you do not have them yet. If will help if you make the Tiber Barbs the last addition to your tank.

phantoms & tigers

My tank is 29 gallons. I have the black phantom tetras already (4). Can I go with a school smaller than 7 with the tigers?

I think you could do less than 7, but don't get any less than 5. My LFS has told me that 5 is the bare minimum recommended. Also, I have heard from all LFS in my area that tiger barbs and tetras don't get along period. You might be able to try it if you keep a close eye on them, but I haven't heard good things about that combo.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom