Black poop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonstinton

Aquarium Advice Regular
We've got 4 sunset platty and 3 tiger barbs, and the last few days we have noticed the plattys have been producing black poop! The nitirte level is 4.0mg/l and is lower than it was yesterday. We have just taken out 24 fry into a new tank so the nitirite level should fall.

Are the two related or is the colour of their poop just related to what they eat (mostly flake food but also irregularly blood worm).

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jon & Liz

When my first platy had fry, I asked the same thing. For the life of me, I can't remember where I got the info, but I was told black poop is an indication of fry. Maybe your platies ate some fry before you took the 24 out? I've seen it in my tank multiple times now, and eventually, their poop turns regular flake-colour again.

When you say its an indication of fry, do you mean pregnacy, or do you mean meal wise, as the fry have been in a nursery for a while.

To be honest, I don't remember. When it happened to me, the fry were never removed, so it could have been either pregnancy, or meal wise. Sorry... :(

Either way, I was told that it wasn't anything to worry about, as long as it doesn't go on very long.

ok, thanks for your help platylady

will let you know if it chages now we've taken the fry out, or if we end up with more fry
:S

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom