Black substrate ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm really considering putting a tank on Lay-by next pay. I want an upgrade for my babies!
I'm using aquasoil in the 41g now but it's way too expensive so I need a cheaper alternative.
I've heard so many pros and cons of using black diamond blasting sand. Some say its fine and not too sharp at all and others say it has very sharp particles in it. I have panda corys and khuli loaches so I need them to be happy and comfortable. Ive heard of Tahitian moon sand but never seen any available here. What's your opinions and suggestions ?

I didn't get black sand blasting sand..I heard too many negative things about it to gamble on it. I jus stick to play sand. Otherwise you can go the expensive route and get black aquarium sand.

I didn't get black sand blasting sand..I heard too many negative things about it to gamble on it. I jus stick to play sand. Otherwise you can go the expensive route and get black aquarium sand.

Hmmm maybe ill just have to stick to play sand then. I want at least a 300l tank this time so will need a fair bit of substrate.

I bought some blasting sand for my 55 a while back. I had a lot of initial concerns and I regretted the decision immediately after I did it. I rinsed and rinsed it, and then I rinsed it again, but no matter how much I rinsed it it still turned my water black. I cleared up the water with filter floss.

There are sharp particles in it. At the very least those particles are perceived as sharp to us but I don't think that is so to my fish. I was worried my cories would hurt themselves but they have not. They have been much more active since I changed from gravel to sand.

Everything turned out to be fine in the end and it is a very inexpensive way to get black sand, but if you're worried about it in the slightest I'd say paying for more expensive sand is worth it for the peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom