Black water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For mine I just used tons of driftwood and a large number of oak and indian almond leaves. It gives me a nice tannin stained effect but isn't so dark that I can't see the fish. Peat filtration is another option but one I'd prefer not to deal with.

Where do I get that stuff and what type of options do you have with black water

The driftwood I bought only but you can find it at pet stores and it's even possible to make your own. I chose Malaysian dw since it would sink right away. The indian almond leaves I bought off ebay but it might be possible to find even cheaper on aquabid. The oak leaves were just fallen leaves I got off the ground this fall.
Options as in fish? Tons actually and way too many to name. Are there certain ones you're interested in?

I used to have a piranha and I was thinking that would be perfect for one but I've already done that I have a 50gal breeder that I'm not doing anything with I've never seen one set up with black water. I would just want to do something out of the ordinary

I have a 40 gallon breeder and just am going with community fish from South America. Even with that I had way too many options to chose from. I like options though. There is also a bunch of Asian species that come from balckwater environments.

Kind of simple looking but here's what my tank looks like. You can't really see the tan water though.
img_1758600_0_65ef9cc8edee1144cffd0f01c8eb87b0.png

Nice tank I'm going to have to do some more research on which fish to go for I'm thinking of another predatory tank.

That a cool looking fish how long have you had your blackwater set up

I've only had it set up for about 3 months. Going good so far though. I have a whole garbage bag full of leaves to use that should last me the entire year at the rate I'm using them.

Do you have to clean the leaves and how long can you keep them in your tank

I've had those leaves in the entire time, well some of them actually longer since I had some in while I was fishless cycling. They're breaking down a little but not overly much. I don't have anything that really rough on them. I actually plan to just leave them in. I do keep an eye on my filter to make sure it doesn't get clogged. Haven't had a problem yet. I didn't clean them either. Just tossed them in and let them sink. My red lizard whiptails seem to love the biofilm on them.

Back
Top Bottom