Black water and carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lannen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking of starting a black water tank (likely using extract) and wondered what was the general though of having carbon in the filter of a such a tank. I've always used carbon in filters before (for no reason other than that's what I started with and it's never done me wrong), and had no reason to change before this thought. I'm concerned about the carbon just absorbing the extract that was added to the water.

Thanks all.

The carbon will remove some of the tannins, especially when it is fresh, but after the carbon becomes clogged it basically just becomes biomedia and will no longer do so. I would say, though, if you are going for a blackwater tank there is no need to have carbon at all. I don't use it unless I need to remove meds or something like that.

I love a blackwater tank, and as I just put some new bogwood in my planted tank it is getting the look for sure - no extract needed! :)

I agree with TankGirl here, putting peat extract in your tank will give you the enviroment you want and also the tannin, but so will Bogwood. The only difference is you only need to put the bogwood in once and leave it. If you dont soak the bogwood before hand you will get even more tannin.

That's true - I soaked mine for about a week and got a lot out, but put it in there after that and there is a nice amber quality to the water that complements the biotope nicely.

Back
Top Bottom