Black widow tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey. I got 3 black widow tetras yesterday and put them in my 10 g because I'm getting my 20 g on Monday all are males I think but the 1 keeps charging the other 2 but not harming them what is causing this

I think the one getting chased could be a female its slightly bigger then the others and a bit dull coloured

Hi,

I have kept black widow tetra’s for a couple of year in a shoal of 7 and they regularly display this behaviour.

Seems to be a trait of these tetra’s pecking order/ aggression, may be worth adding another couple so the aggression is broken up and one fish isn’t always the target and gets stressed.

tornadonick said:
getting the tank on monday. are you cycling the tank?

If the 10 is cycled then simply transferring the media and substrate will seed the new tank.

The water will need to be monitored an more fish shouldn't be added for a week or so to let the 20g filter to be seeded.

But it should be ok as the filter and sub. from the 10g can handle the current bioload.

I have the new filter in the 10 g with a piece of sponge I left in the 10g filter for months wen I get the tank on mon il put both filters in the 20 g and the five fish then next week Saturday il get 6 neons and a dwarf gourami and maybe 2 mor black widow tetras

And il put everything from my ten gal in the 20 except the substrate than move everything from my three gal betta tank to the 10 he will be much happier

In my ten g to 20

50 what heater
Marina slim s10 filter
One very high powers bubble dude
3 plants live
Large piece of dw

Any good

Hi,

I have kept black widow tetra’s for a couple of year in a shoal of 7 and they regularly display this behaviour.

Seems to be a trait of these tetra’s pecking order/ aggression, may be worth adding another couple so the aggression is broken up and one fish isn’t always the target and gets stressed.

Agreed. Would def suggest adding to the number you have. Aggression is less likely with tetra when in schools of 6+

Yes, I have seven, they do it too. They do a back and forth charging thing, my daughter says they're dancing! I like the way they eat, like crazy piranhas, I heard they're related to them.

Back
Top Bottom