Black worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey everyone
I know stores sell black worms which are really mosquito larva. i was just curius would it be ok to put a bucket of water out side, let the mosquitos breed in it, then bring the larva in, and feed them to my fish, could i do thhis, would it be ok for my fish?

Thanks.

Should be fine. Just make sure you net out ALL the larvae every few days or you will be breeding adult mosquitoes!

Do search in these forums. Someone gave good info on breeding them and said the fish loved them. Very nutritious too.

hey everyone
I know stores sell black worms which are really mosquito larva. i was just curius would it be ok to put a bucket of water out side, let the mosquitos breed in it, then bring the larva in, and feed them to my fish, could i do thhis, would it be ok for my fish?

Thanks.

Black worms are black worms, they will never be anything different. Whoever told you that black worms were mosquito larvae was wrong. BLOODWORMS are a red mosquito larvae and they aren't really "worms". Feeding mosquito larvae to your fish is perfectly fine but don't hold your breath and wait for a black worm to turn into a mosquito because it will never happen.

Black worms are black worms, they will never be anything different. Whoever told you that black worms were mosquito larvae was wrong. BLOODWORMS are a red mosquito larvae and they aren't really "worms". Feeding mosquito larvae to your fish is perfectly fine but don't hold your breath and wait for a black worm to turn into a mosquito because it will never happen.
sorry my bad got black and blood messed up i guess.

Like most aquatic critters, it depends largely on the temperature of the water. If it's warm they're going to mature quite a bit faster.

It takes about a week from hatching to pupation with ambient temperatures in the 70s. The pupae are pretty obvious, since they're a different shape and sort of resemble butterfly chrysalids (only 2-3mm long though). The pupa will still swim and float at the surface. I do not know how long it takes for the metamorphosis as I never wanted adult mosquitos, but pupated larvae are still perfectly good fish food.

Any larvae that I find in water buckets get netted and brought into the house. In my tanks they never last long enough to become free flying adults. They seldom last an hour. I would rather get mosquito larvae on a once in a while basis than try to stretch out the production and end up with adult mosquitos that use me as a food source.

Back
Top Bottom