Black worms question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
So there is a new lfs near my house. Im actually coming home with some discus from him tonight.

We got to talking and he said he buys black worms by the pound and if i was interested would add me in on the deal when he buys because he buys bulk. So its $10-12 per pound. Is that a good price?

After buying said amount how is culturing them? He said it was a pain.

Any opinions appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Woah wait, you're doing discus now?

That seems like a good price to me but only if you can actually use all of it...

I keep mine in an unheated, unfiltered plastic tub with 3/4" water. About 2-3 tablespoons of worms. I change the water every 2 or 3 days, clean out any poop and don't feed at all. They do just fine. Too many in one container will cause it to crash. Really aren't hard to maintain, don't know why he said so.

Haha sini i got room for the ones i had in the tank. Im going to keep some with the discus. They are pretty small right now but yea they looked awsome

I stopped with my dad and he actually bought one he liked as well. Going to be selling the guy endlers and RCS as well

I keep mine in an unheated, unfiltered plastic tub with 3/4" water. About 2-3 tablespoons of worms. I change the water every 2 or 3 days, clean out any poop and don't feed at all. They do just fine. Too many in one container will cause it to crash. Really aren't hard to maintain, don't know why he said so.

He didnt say they were really hard to keep more hard to reproduce/breed but well see how it goes

Blackworms are stinky. As mentioned, keep them in a wide flat container (I use a plastic shoebox) in some shallow dechlorinated water. I purged (rinsed) mine every day. The guy I bought mine from suggested keeping them in the fridge, I should have listened cause they died off fairly quickly at room temp. If you have fresh ones available to buy you don't necessarily need to worry about culturing them I would think. Definitely my fishes favorite food. Worth the money.

Blackworms are stinky. As mentioned, keep them in a wide flat container (I use a plastic shoebox) in some shallow dechlorinated water. I purged (rinsed) mine every day. The guy I bought mine from suggested keeping them in the fridge, I should have listened cause they died off fairly quickly at room temp. If you have fresh ones available to buy you don't necessarily need to worry about culturing them I would think. Definitely my fishes favorite food. Worth the money.

Same experience keeping them. I used to gag over the utility sink when I rinsed them daily. Mine died even in the fridge.

As far as price, that's less than what I pay for organic at the swaps. I think the guy near here sells them for $9 per 1/2 lb. I can't remember exactly. My fish love them!! I should have shot a video of the rainbows gobbling them up yesterday. I buy mine in an ounce dressing cup for $4 at the lfs, so yeah you're getting a great deal. Just watch for Flatworms and leaches mixed in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im more worried about them keeping for a little while being that im really only feeding 7 tanks.

Thinking maybe freezing half or something.

A temp around 60/65 is best. Reproduction isn't hard at all, they reproduce mainly by segmentation, which you speed along by breaking worms in half. I always rinsed daily and feed small bits algae wafer or flake when buying by the pound

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom