Blackout didn't kill diatoms!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
I did a blackout for 4 days covering the entire tank with a blanket. No effect at all. Is there any other way to get rid of this menace other than buying a silicate removal? My Nitrates are usually at 5-10 and I have many plants.

If it's truly diatoms, they will go away on their own.

+1 Tank cleanings and good tank care, along with time should help to get rid of them. You can try to siphon them up too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Diatoms are not green. They do not have chlorophyll. They do not do photosynthesis. They are chemosynthetic. Light has nothing to do with them. They come from silicate which is introduced when you set up your tank with city or well water. Eventually they go away on there own. Not sure why but I suspect micro organisms eat it or it starves and dies. Once the silicate becomes the diatom it cannot be released as silicate again and is out of the picture. If you want a fun way to get rid of them fast I highly recommend this guy.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Otocinclus Catfish

Just buy one and give him a week. He is a brown Diatom eating machine :)

Honestly, ive found diatoms are from too little light...

I've had diatoms before in a high light planted tank. Removing silicates from the water with water changes is key in trying to eliminate them, but they should go away with time and water changes.

Diatoms are not green. They do not have chlorophyll. They do not do photosynthesis. They are chemosynthetic. Light has nothing to do with them. They come from silicate which is introduced when you set up your tank with city or well water. Eventually they go away on there own. Not sure why but I suspect micro organisms eat it or it starves and dies. Once the silicate becomes the diatom it cannot be released as silicate again and is out of the picture. If you want a fun way to get rid of them fast I highly recommend this guy.

+1 about the Otos. I've also read of people using Amano Shrimp too. I'd have to disagree with you about Diatoms not using photosynthesis. http://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/about/what_are_diatoms

Diatoms are entirely photosynthetic, they have yellow-brown coloured chloroplasts which is why they are not green. The silicate is not used for energy but to create their "shells" or outer wall.

Silica can not be used for energy production in chemotrophs because of its zero oxidation state.

Diatoms are entirely photosynthetic, they have yellow-brown coloured chloroplasts which is why they are not green. The silicate is not used for energy but to create their "shells" or outer wall.

Silica can not be used for energy production in chemotrophs because of its zero oxidation state.

I agree Silicate is not a food. It's just what they make there "House" out of. I don't see anything in the entire Wiki that says they do photosynthesis. However, I consulted a few books. Turns out your right. Diatom Alage is photo Synthetic. 10 points for Gryffindor:)

My tank is 5 months old and I had these diatoms for nearly 2 months! they are covering my anubias and amazon sword. Now they are going on my new Hygrophila Difformis. How much more do i have to wait for the diatoms to go away?

But Otocinclus are so sensitive. I've seen many of them die on youtube and heard many of them die through forums. There was this saying I heard, "If you want six Otocinclus you better buy 12."

But Otocinclus are so sensitive. I've seen many of them die on youtube and heard many of them die through forums. There was this saying I heard, "If you want six Otocinclus you better buy 12."

Not necessarily true. If you buy them from a reputable dealer, chances of survival are high. They've got to be acclimated properly and provided with enough food (some types of algae and biofilm) when they arrive. Sometimes they will eat prepared foods, sometimes not. Mine don't eat any prepped food, but they've survived in my tank for well over 2 years.

If you get oto cat your diatom days are over. It is true that they do die off but I think I may know the reason. I have noticed when I have the brown diatom bloom I add oto cat. He is very happy and eats and gets chubby and eats and eats and lasts for months. Eventually...he has cleaned the whole tank and there is noting left for him to eat but bio film. He then gets thinner and thinner, eventually, he dies. I think he starved. Many people will add 6 and it cleans there whole tank in a week. Then they all die. 1 lasts months but eventually dies when all the algae is gone. Has anybody else noticed this?

Back
Top Bottom