Bleach Mishap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silentfilms

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wonderful, elderly mother in all her wisdom accidentally added "a tiny drop" of Clorox Splashless Bleach to a brand new 5gal tank. No fish inside, just two ferns. She's using fine white sand for substrate and has a Whisper 10i filter.

Any chance of salvaging anything in this tank or should I resign to throwing everything out?

Nope, not cycled - just sitting there filled with water and a couple of plants. I'll let her know that she needs to empty and refill it if she can, otherwise it'll have to wait until Saturday.

No fragrance. However it does have two ingredients that differ from regular Clorox.

Cetyl betaine: "Beyond its ability to clean soils, Cetyl betaine is used to thicken cleaning formulas and stabilize foam."

Sodium xylene sulfonate: "...is generally used to stabilize other ingredients in a cleaning product to maximize effectiveness of the formula. It is also useful as a co-thickener (in combination with other ingredients) in cleaning products."

Both are surfactants. :/

Back
Top Bottom