Bleach to sterilize a ten gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
Situation: just euthanized the remaining two endlers that still were showing signs of an unknown disease. I want to sterilize the tank so that I can get healthy fish in and have them stay healthy.

Proposed course of action:
If I dose the tank with bleach, (100 ppm?) let it run, perform a 100% water change with excess dechlorinator (my tap has no chlorine) I should be sterilized and safe for fish right?

Please no comments about losing my cycle, I've got enough cycled media to replace it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nevermind I guess? Just did a complete water change and dosed with 37 mL bleach with 8.25% sodium hypochlorite solution fit 10 gallons of water. I'm off to buy dechlorinator for later.

Sounds good. Just make sure you get rid of ANY bleach in the tank. I'd then rinse it, let it dry, rinse again, repeat a couple times.....better safe than sorry ;)

Sounds good. Just make sure you get rid of ANY bleach in the tank. I'd then rinse it, let it dry, rinse again, repeat a couple times.....better safe than sorry ;)

I was just going to replace the sponges after I change all the water and give it a big dose of prime. My tap is chlorine free so I won't be adding chlorine when I change the water. Next stop is the store across town that sells healthy endlers hopefully.

I just dump in a few tablespoons and rinse really well. Then hit with Prime and let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse well again and let air dry. I put the filters etc in a bucket and do the same. I soak in the bleach for about 20 minutes. I bleach tons of stuff to avoid cross contamination and have never had a problem doing it that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ran the bleach water for 24 hours, changed the water and dosed with prime. Smells like aquarium, I'll be looking to get new fish in soon.

Good luck on the new fish, I hope it works out better for you this time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom