Bleaching rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Lava rocks are covered in hair algae. I've removed all the rocks and want to put them into a different tank. Before I do that, I'd like to get rid of all of the hair algae. How should I go about doing that?

Can I bleach lava rocks to remove the algae? I'm concerned that since Lava Rocks are so pourous the rocks would contaminate my tank with bleach. What else gets rid of hair algae?

I think if you soak them in highly dechlorinated water, after you give them a good rinse the bleach would be a little concern. It is very soluble in water and the dechlor should take care of any bleach that remains behind.

I don't know how long it is going to take for the bleach to totally kill off the algae. I was thinking about soaking them overnight. Then tomorrow draining the bleach and adding new hot water and WAY over dosing the prime. Does that sound like a good plan?

There are a few MTS that I can't get off one of the lava rocks. They are stuck inside small holes. I hate to bleach them because I'm sure they will die through the process.

That will do the job. I would rinse three or four times with dechlorinated water and then let it soak in the water afterwards. I am sure the MTS will not survive the process.

I did something similar once, with lava rock, though apparently didn't use enough declor afterwards. About an hour later, the tank of pictus cats were 1/2 dead. I felt so bad.

I'd say bleach the lava rock, rinse thoroughly, let soak in hot water with overdosed declor/prime overnight. Repeat 2-3 times and you should be fine.

I would say avoid bleaching at all costs. Use something else that will kill the algae instead.

I've bleached BGA infested driftwood and returned it to the tank with no problems whatsoever. I soaked the driftwood overnight in 5 gal of warm water containing 2 cups bleach. Had myself a good chuckle while the BGA perished. :twisted: Then, I scrubbed the piece with a dedicated nailbrush under running water, rinsed a few times and let the wood soak overnight in 5 gal containing quadruple dose of dechlor. Rinsed a few more times with tap water, and put it in the tank.

If you let your rocks dry completely, the chlorine will gas off. Sunlight or a 200oF oven will speed things up.

Another option that defionitely kills algae is hydrogen peroxide. Again, numerous rinses or complete drying will remove all traces of H2O2.

Bleach is very easy to remove. I bleach everything that goes into any of my tanks. I have used it many times to kill algae on rocks. Vinegar added to the rinse water will neutralize the bleach if your concerned.

As QTOFFER said peroxide is the way to go. It is by far the best oxidizer to use in our tanks because it leaves no traces, cannot steep into wood like chlorine can, and is just as effective if not more so (due to the bubbles).

A quick 5-10minute dip in a bucket then a quick rinse in the sink is all that would be needed to kill anything on the wood. No need for dechlor, or letting it dry, or worrying about the bucket or other things that it came into contact with (like your hands).

To top it off its cheap too, so cost is not an issue.

If you don't want to use chemicals, use a pressure washers (that has been flushed of chemicals) on the rock, then just soak it in dechlored water for 24 hours and then rinse one last time.

what about taking a 5 gallon bucket and performing a mini blackout in the bucket for a couple days?? wouldn't that kill the algea? all else fells pressure wash them lol

I used the bleach. I think pressure washing will chip away at the lava rocks. Right now we are on day two of soaking with dechlorinated water. :)

Back
Top Bottom