Blizzard Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
If the power does go out all over the midwest like it sounds like it might...

What do I do without power and no generator to get power back on to my fish tank? Any Advice? Hopefully the power just won't go out.

Quick Answers?

set aside as much extra water as you can, besides for drinking, etc. Cover your tanks with a blanket, towels, whatever you can to maintan heat.

Every 24 hours, do a PWC with water as warm as the tanks at least.

If you can get a battery operated water pump, get additional batteries and build a corner filter to maintain a beneficial bacteria. There are a few other posters yesterday looking for similar advice and there were other really good ideas.

I'd also put your heating up in your house so it's nice and warm. The tank can only get as cold as the surrounding air. If the power goes out your home should retain some heat.

Make sure your filter media remains wet, filling a bucket with tank water and putting the media into it may work, or you could simply drop it into your tank and the fish swimming around may keep it agitated enough.

Keeping oxygen in the water is also really important. Water changes can help here, as they can with water quality and even temps!

Just long term, because we get quite a few storms here and the occasional brown out, consider getting some APC battery backups. I have 3 just currently hooked up to the various tank filters. Power cuts usually have no effect on me at all. Obviously I don't hook the lights/heaters up but sometimes add the heaters if the temperature in the tank drops too low while the power is off.

I have my fish tank emergency plan in place too. I have a propane cooktop made for camping, that I will be able to heat water on. I also bought some of those Hot/Cold bags from Walmart that I can cut up and wrap around the tank. I also ordered batter powered air stones a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom