Blocking up holes in a rock background!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puddle

Aquarium Advice Regular
:lol: I have a rocky background stuck into my 40g tank, but it is in 2 parts and there is a slight space inbetween the two. Unfortunately I have some very explorative guppy's, cardinals and harlequins and they get stuck in the back behind it and I can't get them out (and I only got them ydy aswell...!)!

Any ideas a) how to get them out and b) how I can fill in the gaps!!!? Thanks in advance! :roll:

The background is stuck in with silicone and I have no idea how to get the poor things out, I did think of silicone to block it up but would it be ok as the tank is all up and running? Would it be safe?

You would have to drain the tank and let it dry, then silicone, then let it dry. I don't know what you could stuff in there, maybe filter floss? But then you will have that showing. Honestly I think silicone would be your best bet but it's going to be an inconvenience.

silicone some actual rocks in there..that should do it...when your done shine a light behind it and see if you have any light showing through then you knwo where else you need to fill in

One of my rummy nose's went in the back and then got stuck in between the glass and the 'rock' - even though there was a space big enough for it to get through just below (Duh!) so now its gone to fishy heaven :( Luckily for me it wasn't very well anyway so prob best it's out the way and can't pass anything on to the other fish! Have stuck a few small pebbles in the biggest holes for now, but was thinking about putting a bit of driftwood there or a thick plant just in front of the gap?

If you don't silicone the gap, a plant or driftwood probably won't solve the problem. Fish can get through the smallest gaps and into the smallest spaces. Most times they can't find their way out.

Tell me about it, a Copper Harlequin went through last night and he's joined the other in fishy heaven :( Problem is - to silcone the gaps I would need to empty out the whole tank, argh, and start/cycle it all up again?

No, you do not have to recycle. Do you have a spare tank? If not, go buy a rubbermaid container about the same size as the tank. Drain the water from the tank into the clean rubbermaid container, add the heater and filter. Run it while the silicone cures on the tank. Then just transfer back. The bacteria is in the filter. Keep it wet and with a constant ammonia source and you'll be fine.

Great idea - block it up with filter foam!!! Hopefully this will help as I have lost 4 fish in 2 weeks :(

Back
Top Bottom