Blood fin tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonestarbandit

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wondering if someone could collaborate my unfortunate findings. Contrary to petsmart tags and advice my blood fin tetra are NOT suitable for a community tank. They shred about at high speed ( faster than the non aggressive danios ) and terrorize and chase everything including themselves. I have a feeling they are mostly responsible for my fish deaths, not so much the cycling of a fresh tank. They are so fast I can't get hold of the lousy creatures or I would return them..

Moved to FW general discussion.

From the sticky in profiles section:
The purpose of this forum is to post informative threads about freshwater fish, inverts and plants. Don't post questions in this forum. If you have a FW fish, invert or plant that you want to tell us about please post a picture of it and a description of it and any info that the FW aquarist will need. If anyone else has any more info on it they will post to that thread. It should be that anyone that wants to know about a certain fish, invert, or plant can come to this forum and read up on it. Please post your questions in the other forums and post your knowledge and experience in this one.

Follow this template when you create your profile: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ate-59256.html

*Update*
Have caught the awful things and they are going BACK tomorrow. Community fish my eye. Tiger barbs are kind compared to these things!

What size tank and how many Bloodfins?

Never had a problem with Bloodfins. I have school that has lived peacefully with Guppies, Danios, Angels, Cories, Rams, Rainbows and an SAE.

Maybe the size of a giant danio about 1.5" and 6 of them. They were pure evil in my tank. The are now in a Betta cup awaiting return to petsmart tomorrow. They are pretty fish but they even went after my sharks (rainbow, bala and redtail).
Tank is a 46gal. Maybe it's petsmarts special version or something. Piranha blood fins lol.
No one in my talk got any peace. They were the speed heads of the fish world. Tearing back and forth thru the poor schooling fish....,

I temp placed them in my 10 gal Berta tank colder water till tomorrow and they are calm go figure. Now the quandary. Since not everything can survive w a betta and these guys are large and fast enough to..., do I leave them in the beta tank or return them and get something else lol

So right now, they're in a tank with a betta? I'd definitely return them asap. If they tend to be as nippy and fast as you say, it's only a matter of time before they attack the betta. With his flowing fins, I'm afraid he won't stand a chance.

That was my line of thinking but I had them in a betta cup to return them and they were panting and at the surface so I felt bad for them. Even though when trying to catch them and destroying my carefully placed decorations in the 46 trying to catch them I was WISHING all sorts of death on them. Lol

Also my "beta tank" is a 10 gal so they have some separation. It should be fine till tomorrow. Just odd they are calm as can be in there. Nothing like the holy terrors they were on the community tank....,

Did you have plenty of plants in the 46 ? Are you sure they are Bloodfins ?

I had lots of Red/Blue Columbian Tetras returned for attitude, never Bloodfins.

But each tank is different.

Perhaps you ended up with all males ?

Positive. They started up same behavior in the 10 now. If I didn't want my money back I'd kill the retarded bastids myself. Luckily the beta can handle then for now. I now have a dead danio and fancy guppy thanks to those idiots for sure. Luckily they were petsmart also so guess I'll get credited for them too. I don't know what's wrong with these but they are bullies. If you look in my profile there is a pic of them. I know the tank is not "densely planted" but that's no cause for homicidal killers

Back
Top Bottom