Blood Fin tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdesmond19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP!!! I have a ten gallon freshwater that has been running with two sunset platys for about a month. I added 4 blood fin tetras yesterday and their fins are no longer red. Is 4 not enough? would adding more be over crowding? very concerned.

Their fins are not red cause their stressed. It's a new environment for them and they'll have to get use to it. They like groups of 6 but you will be pushing the limit of your tank. They like to swim. I have ten in my 55g and their all over the place. Very active fish.

Agree with the last post, and we've noticed a difference in coloration based on the temperature of the tank. The bloodfins we had in a tank at 74 degrees didn't have nearly the bright colors of the bloodfins in our 55g at 80 degrees. Could just be coincidence though, what temp are you at?

thanks for replys. Water temp is 78. also, their behavior has me a little worried. As you mentioned, they are active fish when healthy, but mine just lay around the bottom of the tank and hide. Is this another symptom of too small of group, or simply just getting used to their new environment?

just did a test. amm and nitrities are at 0 ppm nitrates are a little high at 15ppm. Also, there is one of the 4 with good color and activity, his activity however is harassing the other 3 who just hide alone.

That one is probably the alpha male. They are probably just setting a pecking order right now. Wait a week or two, and see if things get better.

thanks for the advice. i think as a first timer i'm just a little paranoid about my little guys haha. would adding two more tetras for a school of six make them a little more comfortable?

Back
Top Bottom