Blood parrot...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcourts

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My husband really wants one but I'm not sure it would be good with my fishes in the 55g. Here's the list:
4 juvenile angelfish(size of fifty cent pieces)
10 cories
11 harliquins
1 albino fan tail Pleco
4 amano shrimp
3 mystery snails...
I still am wanting a powder blue dwarf gourami...is his fish doable with this company???

I think it would work, but I can't speak for the harlequins, I know nothing about them.

They are a schooling fish. I'm just afraid he will be too big.. And are they aggressive??

I have one and the only fish that I've seen her go after was a marbled hatchetfish right after I put him in the tank, she apparently thought he was food lol. But once she figured out he was another fish she left him alone. I think you'd be okay, maybe put the parrot in last though, just in case :)

My parrot is really aggressive Lol picks on my Oscar sometimes too. Mean little fish. Guess it's the cichlid in them

I have 2 juvenile parrots and one of them is fairly aggressive. He is ok with smaller fast moving fish like tiger barbs, but he didn't care for the larger tinfoil barbs. Maybe he seen them as a threat bc they were pretty big. The way that their mouths are shaped they can't really bite other fish but they will ram into them with their head. As they get older and bigger, like other cichlids, they might see your smaller fish as lunch.

they are awesome fish and really fun to watch, just make sure u have a backup plan if they start to beat up your other fish. Some are aggressive and some aren't it just depends on the fish.

I have have 2 litlle blood and 1 firemouth all are about 2in and the blood parrots are mean as hell.Mine will try and kill anything smaller than them.I have seen ones in tanks with smaller fish before. I think it really depends on the fish its self. They will also get big and create alot of bioload. Here is a site with some info Blood Parrot Care Sheet | A club for owners of Parrot Cichlids

Thanks guys!! Guess that is out. What other cool fish are out there that I could get him? He said he wants one that's not "girlie"??

Angelfish aren't girly they get big. Once he sees them get bigger he might like them better. I think you could do a powder blue at the moment, but 4 Angelfish will be pushing the bioload as they get bigger.

Yeah laser that's what I keep telling him. I may let him pick out the gourami;) he is currently fawning over big daddy(our huge apple snail). I did tell him if he let me get a bigger tank he could do some mean cichlids;) he is thinking on it :)

My husband really wants one but I'm not sure it would be good with my fishes in the 55g. Here's the list:
4 juvenile angelfish(size of fifty cent pieces)
10 cories
11 harliquins
1 albino fan tail Pleco
4 amano shrimp
3 mystery snails...
I still am wanting a powder blue dwarf gourami...is his fish doable with this company???

When your 4 angels reach maturity, you'll already be overstocked in this tank. Without the angels, you could do a BP.

Yeah lynda I will prob end up rehoming two of my angels. They are already starting to pair off...makes me alittle nervous. But I have other tanks they could go in;) I just want a bigger one:) I'll keep working on him:) I'm not real fond of the blood parrots anyway. They kinda remind me of a goldfish...

u can try a blood parrot, just start off with a small juvenile. If it doesn't work out u can always bring him back or give him to a friend.

u can also try some bolivian rams which are a peaceful cichlid

Back
Top Bottom