blood parrot fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I,ve been reading up on these fish & wondered if they,d be compatible with my elephant nose? Would like to hear from anyone whose had experience with them. Thanks

Yeah they should be fine together. I have two Blood Parrots and mine are very peaceful but I recommend getting 2. I had one and when I got him a buddy he seemed way happier and they hangout together all day.

You do realize that by buying these fish you support the hybridization of these fish which have been bred for so many deformities that their mouths cannot close? Not trying to be rude

emerald76 said:
You do realize that by buying these fish you support the hybridization of these fish which have been bred for so many deformities that their mouths cannot close? Not trying to be rude

Who cares? They still deserve to live like all other fish. Plus they one of the few peaceful larger cichlids and have great personalities.

vanimal said:
Here are my 2 little guys. They grow very slowly.

Beautiful tank & fish you have there, I saw them at my lfs on sunday & really liked them.

emerald76 said:

I understand your not being rude didn't know that.

shellyx said:
Beautiful tank & fish you have there, I saw them at my lfs on sunday & really liked them.

Yeah they're awesome fish I thought they were ugly at first but now I really like them.

shellyx said:
Are they difficult too feed? What do you feed yours thanks

No just like any other fish. The main thing I feed is just hikari Cichlid pellets but I soak them in water so they become soft and they sink. That way they are much easier for them to eat and smaller sizes are better.
Hikari Cichlid Pellets
Tropical Flakes
Deshelled Peas
Shrimp Pellets
Frozen Blood Worms
Frozen Krill
Guppy Fry
Shrimp
But they would be healthy with just the first three.

vanimal said:
No just like any other fish. The main thing I feed is just hikari Cichlid pellets but I soak them in water so they become soft and they sink. That way they are much easier for them to eat and smaller sizes are better.
Hikari Cichlid Pellets
Tropical Flakes
Deshelled Peas
Shrimp Pellets
Frozen Blood Worms
Frozen Krill
Guppy Fry
Shrimp
But they would be healthy with just the first three.

Thanks, I'm still reading up on them just concerned my elephant nose will bully it as he's the boss in my tank lol

shellyx said:
Thanks, I'm still reading up on them just concerned my elephant nose will bully it as he's the boss in my tank lol

What size tank?

The ones I,ve seen are only babies 2inches which I would prefer, the others at my lfs have no tails & are different color,s & are big felt sorry for them. Definitely think the babies would be better

shellyx said:
The ones I,ve seen are only babies 2inches which I would prefer, the others at my lfs have no tails & are different color,s & are big felt sorry for them. Definitely think the babies would be better

Yeah do not get those ones. I believe doing that is wrong, dieing and cutting the tails of off fish is cruel. But I don't think there is anything wrong the normal Blood Parrots, and some might be blackish in color. That is normal and they will turn orange as they age.

vanimal said:
Yeah do not get those ones. I believe doing that is wrong, dieing and cutting the tails of off fish is cruel. But I don't think there is anything wrong the normal Blood Parrots, and some might be blackish in color. That is normal and they will turn orange as they age.

That's good too know hopefully my elephant will leave them alone, thanks for all your help :)

shellyx said:
That's good too know hopefully my elephant will leave them alone, thanks for all your help :)

I keep mine with a BGK and they're fine. But a pair would be better if the elephant nose was being aggressive.

vanimal said:
I keep mine with a BGK and they're fine. But a pair would be better if the elephant nose was being aggressive.

Bgk are great fish always look at them in my lfs. I,ll definitely try a pair then. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom