Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Catfish Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 287
Bloodfin Tetras jumping out the tank

Ive had 8 for well over a year now and went to an open top about 4 months ago. Within the last month or so 3 have jumped out. Tank is over 3 years old, no water chemistry problems, no other fish in the tank that would bother them, what can be causing this? Do they just like to randomly jump? Oh yeah, I'm down to 5 since 3 have jumped to their deaths. Also of note is that their are a ton of Brazilian pennywort I have as floating plants.. So they mm must've really wanted out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Catfish Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
if they were/are chasing around like crazy in the floating plants they may be spawning and could have jumped out because they got too excited.
__________________

__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Catfish Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
if they were/are chasing around like crazy in the floating plants they may be spawning and could have jumped out because they got too excited.
Wow! Thanks. Didn't know this could happen. I've been beating myself up over what could possibly be causing this. Of course it could be something else I'm not picking up on but this sounds like it's likely the issue since water parameters are fine and the fish were not showing any signs of sickness. One issue on that though is it always happens during middle of night when the lights are off and the fish are "sleep". Shouldn't be any chasing going on should their be?
__________________
Catfish Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,104
When fish that don't typically jump do so it is usually because they were either scared or chased by another fish and decide to escape......up.

Time for glass tops?
__________________
dalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Lover View Post
One issue on that though is it always happens during middle of night when the lights are off and the fish are "sleep". Shouldn't be any chasing going on should their be?
now that is odd....
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
When fish that don't typically jump do so it is usually because they were either scared or chased by another fish and decide to escape......up.

Time for glass tops?
true, but bloodfins are ones that do get airborne occasionally when in the excitement of spawning as they try to cast their eggs into/over the floating plants.
My rummynose do the same thing and at the last second the female flips over and tries to cast the eggs almost out of the water at times.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
true, but bloodfins are ones that do get airborne occasionally when in the excitement of spawning as they try to cast their eggs into/over the floating plants.
My rummynose do the same thing and at the last second the female flips over and tries to cast the eggs almost out of the water at times.
That is interesting. None of my tanks have ever had floating plants so I have never witnessed this behavior.
__________________
dalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,789
Is there anything happening that could startle them? Pets? Children? Construction in the area? Ghosts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Catfish Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Is there anything happening that could startle them? Pets? Children? Construction in the area? Ghosts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Nothing, no kids or pets. Complete silence at night. No signs of illness or anything
__________________

__________________
Catfish Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blood, bloodfin tetra, fin, tan, tank, tetra, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bloodfin tetras Mcannelis Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 7 12-21-2012 02:29 AM
Scared Bloodfin Tetras? mitchfish Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 01-26-2012 08:46 PM
Bloodfin tetras mr.waffles1842 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 10-18-2011 07:13 AM
Breeding Geman Blue Rams and bloodfin tetras. mr.waffles1842 Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 8 10-05-2011 03:44 PM
Bloodfin Tetras ^_^ maxima423 New Acquisitions 14 08-15-2010 05:17 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.