Bloodworm in Red Claw Crab Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mutantllama

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
Bought a 60L tank two weeks ago, and four Red Claw crabs (lovely creatures!). All has been fine up until recently, when we noticed lots of little red worms in the tank (which is filled with gravel and a pile of stones for the land mass). Completely cleaned the tank and filter out (which was clogged with them), and fished out any remaining worms that I find, but how can I avoid getting any more? How did they get there anyway? Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi all,
Bought a 60L tank two weeks ago, and four Red Claw crabs (lovely creatures!). All has been fine up until recently, when we noticed lots of little red worms in the tank (which is filled with gravel and a pile of stones for the land mass). Completely cleaned the tank and filter out (which was clogged with them), and fished out any remaining worms that I find, but how can I avoid getting any more? How did they get there anyway? Thanks for any advice!

Those worms are most likely Tubifex, which are most often caused by over feeding. They are a sign that the aquarium is dirty when you have an explosion like that. Here's a link that may be helpful. :)
Tubifex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks mate! They were definitely bloodworm, but the good news is that, between fishing them out and the filter and the crabs eating them, they are all gone now!

Back
Top Bottom