Blue Gourami Aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I was hoping that somebody with some experience with Blue Gouramis might be able to help me out with a question I have.

I just took my Blue Gourami out of QT (No disease! :D ), and put him in my 38 gal community tank last night. I put 2 otocinclus into the QT tank to help keep it cycled and to take care of some nasty brown algae that has started to grow. (Why does algae look so gross?)

Anyway, the first night, the gourami was a little crazy, not too surprising as it was his first night! He was cruising around the tank at a pretty good clip, checking things out, tapping everything with those 'feelers'? This morning, I wake up and he is crusing around peacefully with everyone, and everything looks great. Maybe it is the dark gravel or different lighting, but he is beautiful! I have named him Lil' Blue (not very inventive, what can I say?).

Later this evening, however, I brought my father down to check him out. I was right in the middle of telling him how happy I was he wasn't being aggressive. Before I finish the sentence, he starts chasing a swordtail around. Over the next few minutes, I counted 4 separate episodes of him chasing the swordtails around. He leaves the loaches and algae eater alone.

What I can't figure out is what the deal is? He doesn't chase them every time he sees them, and I tried to see if maybe he chases them only in specific spots (territory), but I can't figure out what his reason is. I doubt he'll ever catch the swordtails (they're fast, and Lil' Blue is not), but I don't want him to stress the swordtails to death. I'd say Lil' Blue is about 2", and my largest swordtail is 1.5" and the smallest 1".

Does this sound like a territorial dispute, or is he just mean? I'm not as attached to him as I am to my swordtails (they were my first fish), and while I would hate to get rid of him, but he'd be the one I'd take back if it came down to it.

Does anybody with experience with the blue gouramis have any thoughts, experiences or advice to share?

Thanks!
Paul

This is a pretty common occurrence with male gourami. While not overly aggressive they will lay claim to a territory and defend it. That said, gourami are more "chasers" than nippers". I wouldn't be too concerned unless he is causing physical harm to the other fish. This is normal behavior.

Bryan

Gouramis are extremely territorial. Also, seeing as how he is new to the tank, he could very well not only be extablishing territories in the tank, but also dominance of the tank.

I see that your sig says the tank is 38 gallons....that is perfectly fine, however, you may want to put in plants (live or fake) and mauybe decorations so that they can't always see each other and Lil' Blue will feel like he has his territory.

Agreed with all above. Gourami's aren't particularily aggressive, but are territorial. They shouldn't hurt anyone but they will chase them around.

They like to have plants they can hide under/in/behind, etc, and they'll cruise just about the entire tank.

OK, well that sounds much better. This morning again, he seems peaceful for the most part, is perfectly calm around everyone. He did chase one of the female swordtails around for a few seconds, but again, he can't catch her, and it was only for a few seconds. I am attaching a picture of how my aquarium is set up. That large decoration has a large area underneath and the inside is hollow. What do you think of my aquarium as far as hiding places and territories?

It'd be hard to tell, but there are all the fish in my sig in that aquarium. This is a rare shot where only two are visible! I put arrows to them so you can see the sizes and the difference in size.

Do you think I have enough space for 6 cherry barbs or 6 praecox rainbows?

Paul

I don't see any reason not to consider the cherry barbs. They're fairly small. As always though, when nearing max if not slightly overloaded bioloads, keeps up good practices for water replacement and filter cleaning, etc.

You can do a lot of things with a tank if you have a good maintenance regiment.

I agree with the cherry barbs as well. I would not suggest the rainbows because they can become aggressive, and they like more room to swim around.

Well, I think I am going to go ahead with my original plan of the cherry barbs. I have a fake plastic plant in my QT tank that won't work with the betta I'm eventually wanting to put in there to keep it cycled, so I'll probably put that plant in the 38 eventually. I'm thinking 6-8 cherries and then I will be done adding fish to the 38. I'll still have to decide on the bushy nose pleco, but that is a decision that can be made another day! :)

Tonight, during feeding the gourami was just cruising around eating, no aggression. However, about 5 minutes after the meal, he starting chasing the swordtails up a storm! He even kicked the algae eater out from underneath his log! I was getting irritated with him as this went on for like 20 minutes. He even drove the two smaller swordtails into hiding. But then, as abruptly as it had started, it stopped. Right now, a few hours later, the swordtails are within inches of him, pecking algae off the same plant with him! I can't figure this gourami out!

Paul

PS - Are cherry barbs nippers like tiger barbs? I have read that they are not, but I visited a LFS today that I almost never visit, just to see what they had new, and they told me that cherry barbs will nip too. Does anyone know?

I have never known cherry barbs to be fin-nippers. I've kept them with bettas and gourami without any incidents or evidence of nipping. They are a very peaceful species of fish and make good additions to community tanks.

Bryan

OK, today my gourami is making more sense. It's just like me to think the first day means something... 8O

He only gets aggressive right after feeding, and only for about 10-20 minutes. I was wondering why since it doesn't seem like he is defending a territory, he'll chase them anywhere he finds them. I realized he is searching for more food, and of course when he bumps into someone else who might want that food, they've got to go! :lol:

He never catches them, just chases them away from where they are, and 20 minutes later, he calms back down. Then the whole rest of the day and all the next morning and afternoon they can swim right in front of his face with no aggression.

I just need to learn a little more patience. :)

Paul

Perhaps feed in two locations in the tank? Although I'm sure Mr. G would end up searching for more when what he scarfs down is gone. . . but it may help some?

With my Dwarf Gouramis, they did the chase thing against my swords too. But when the swords are heavy with babies, they dont put up with the gouramis aggresion and fight back. The swords tend to actually be tougher than the gouramis, and it's the gouramis who go away with injuries. I have had to separate the swords to another tank till they calm down (a few days), after i put em back in the main tank, things seem to be peacful again for a month or so.

Just a word of advice. Don't plan to add dwarf gouramis to your tank if you have a male blue. Mine chased both dwarfs I had to their death.

Back
Top Bottom