Blue Gourami always hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfarticus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Don’t want to write a book here with all the specs and tell my fish keeping story.
Here is my situation. I have a 55g long tank. It is a well planted, well established community aquarium. I have several different peaceful fish. I have a beautiful Blue Gourami who has taken to an area behind a piece of driftwood, and only comes out to feed. It did swim around the tank when I first got it, 8 months ago. At the time I had a pair of Angels in there and one of them would torture my poor Gourami all the time. I removed and returned the Angels. Since then, after about a month of happily swimming without worry, he suddenly decided to make a home behind a large piece of driftwood. I never see it anymore. I don’t want to get rid of it, but I did get it to be seen. Any ideas why it may be hiding?
I will post a picture of my aquarium and you can see the driftwood in the center. It has moss and an anubias attached to it. He is behind it.
IMG_0410.jpg

The fact that your Gourami is eating and apparently has no external symptoms of disease, likely no worries. You might try adding a couple more gouramis. That will likely perk him up.
Nice looking tank.:)

Could he be hiding from too much flow?
Gouramis although strong fast swimmers like idle water.
My tank flows fast and all fish love it ,but they do pop off and hide under wood to rest up..

Could he be hiding from too much flow?
Gouramis although strong fast swimmers like idle water.
My tank flows fast and all fish love it ,but they do pop off and hide under wood to rest up..

I actually thought of that. But then it occurred to me that the place he chose to hide was directly in the path of one of my power heads. I have one on the bottom right in the back just to keep the water moving behind that wood.

Keeping Gouramis is ancient history for me. Kept them long before the beautiful color morphs available today. I'm sure somethings haven't changed. A solitary Gourami is somewhat lethargic. From your full tank photo it appears that you are providing a very nice environment for the Gourami. Maybe he's just a "Dud " Lol.

Im contemplating getting rid of the large piece of wood in favor of some longer slightly straighter pieces. That way he would not be completely out of sight all the time.

Hello I have a blue gourami as well and 2 angel fish. My angels don't hurt it but it always hides. I think your blue one might be sick they should be swimming around all the time. Not hiding. Maybe you should try a type of glass divider use for Bettas. For example half for them half for the others. I hope this helps!

Hello I have a blue gourami as well and 2 angel fish. My angels don't hurt it but it always hides. I think your blue one might be sick they should be swimming around all the time. Not hiding. Maybe you should try a type of glass divider use for Bettas. For example half for them half for the others. I hope this helps!

You think the other fish are stressing it out?
They are all peaceful community fish. Tetras, Rasboras, platy, Guppies, barbs

The gourami is the toughest fish in your tank .
I think a mate or couple more of the same might make him more active as mentioned..

Back
Top Bottom