Blue-Green Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurence

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am having a problem with blue-green algae coating the gravel on the bottom of my tank. The tank receives dim light. Is there some kind of fish or snail that will eat this algae? I have a plecostmous but it does not touch this slimy algae.

I am having a problem with blue-green algae coating the gravel on the bottom of my tank. The tank receives dim light. Is there some kind of fish or snail that will eat this algae? I have a plecostmous but it does not touch this slimy algae.
I've heard that Nerite snails eat algae, but I cannot confirm that...

The most effective treatment for BGA is Erythomycin. Blackouts can work in a very limited number of cases.

No it shouldn't. IME erythromicyn wont be able todo it alone. You need to remove the fish and the filter media and keep them both in tank water while you bleach all ornaments and the tank. You also need to throw out gravel. Once this is done dose with erythromicyn. Once you are sure the algae is gone buy new gravel for your tank.

Erythromycin has always been a knockout punch for me. If you don't always fix the issue that let it get established in the first place, it will just come back again.

I've seen a couple of vids on YouTube where someone uses hydrogen peroxide 3% on his substrate and he put a lot on his substrate without it hurting his plants or delicate fish like neons. I'm thinking about trying it b/c I started seeing it on my gravel.
Quick question to aqua_chem. Do you know what caused the BGA in your tank?

How often do you change water? How many hours do you run your lights? What kind of lights? Do you have plants? How many fish?

Low nitrates, excess light, and poor circulation are major contributors to BGA IME. It usually mostly the nitrates when I get it.

Nerite snails will eat it. I got rid of BGA soley by doing more frequent PWCs, adding extra filtration, and increasing water movement.

No it shouldn't. IME erythromicyn wont be able todo it alone. You need to remove the fish and the filter media and keep them both in tank water while you bleach all ornaments and the tank. You also need to throw out gravel. Once this is done dose with erythromicyn. Once you are sure the algae is gone buy new gravel for your tank.

if you bleach the tank and all ornaments, there is no need for Erthromyacin. As well, the gravel can be bleached and does not need to be discarded.

Actually I know of cases that people have bleached the tank and the algae came back right away. And IMO its easier to throw out the gravel and buy new than to spend time bleaching it wich will often cause it to lose colour.

I don't believe that poor water circulation is a contributing factor to BGA. I use to have floating hornwort plants anchored to my canister filter outlets and that algae was only visibly growing on those plants. I think its caused by too much light, very low nitrate level, and too much liquid ferts or too much food. I got rid of BGA by doing a plant bath in Florish Excel, it was gone in a couple of days but after a week my hornwort plants went into shock lost all its needles and died.
No Florish Excel plant baths/dips for plants like hornwort, cambodias, and foxtail IMO.

Back
Top Bottom