Blue-green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nadiboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just looking for tips on getting rid of blue-green algae. I've heard hydrogen peroxide works well, but looking for confirmation on that or other techniques... Thanks!

Sent from my E6653 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That "algae" is a PITA to deal with but loves nutrient rich environments with lower current with low oxygen. It can also use light that other plants do not like so having proper lighting that works better for plants to help out compete for the nutrients.

This in your tank, what size, filter, etc?

I would: Clean and do partial water changes, add current and air. Clean again in 3-7 days.

I wouldn't: Add hydrogen peroxide to it, but maybe clean off decor with it.

Also keep in mind, killing it in the tank, will add more nutrients to help feed it.

Thanks, goof :)
I have been cleaning/with water changes, and I have air(maybe I will add a second pump/stone), and I switched the U2 filter to the bottom nozzle for agitating the substrate :/ I can add a second filter, though, but I'm having the problem in multiple tanks, so I guess I will try it in one, and if it helps, I'll add a second filter in the others too. I think I'm going to remove the gravel and give it a good cleaning, too. Is it OK to bleach h the gravel, if I rinse REALLY well before putting it back???

That "algae" is a PITA to deal with but loves nutrient rich environments with lower current with low oxygen. It can also use light that other plants do not like so having proper lighting that works better for plants to help out compete it.

I can't comment on the lighting but I agree with low flow, oxygen and dissolved organics.

I managed to beat it be addressing these factors.

I've been able to kill off BGA using API Erythromycin.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This will work well too. I didn't have access to antibiotics.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Fresh and Caliban.
I've removed all the gravel from the worst tank, and the water. I'm soaking the gravel in a mild bleach solution overnight, thoroughly cleaned the glass and filter etc. I'm going to use filter media from one of my other filters and give it a few days with goldfish, to make sure I still have enough beneficial bacteria, effort I put back all the fish...
I will try erythromycin in one of the other tanks, with a less severe problem, and try to increase flow and O², though they already do have plenty of both... And I'll be EXTRA vigilant about small weekly water changes- I've been doing them more like monthly - though more since the BGA issues…
Thanks again for the input!

Back
Top Bottom