blue/green algae sheets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have sheets of a blue/green algae that are covering everything from my plants, to my rocks, driftwood, and even gravel. Is there a common way to combat this problem? I have been using algae fix to no avail and am cleaning the darn tank for an hour or two each week removing blankets of this stuff. What else can I do?

I would recommend you just go out and get a product that removes cyano (same as blue/green algae). I don't know the products that are available in the U.S., but just use full dose of what is on the package, and treat as long as necesairy. When it's all gone, add carbon to the filter to remove the medication from the water.
This is the only efficient way of removing the stuff.

Good luck!!! :wink:

I've found that the blackout method works the best for killing off BGA/cyano. Simply cover your tank so no light gets into it from the outside, turn off your tank lights, and let it sit for three to five days. Perform a 50-70% water change both before and after the blackout. During the blackout period do not feed the fish, fertilize the plants or run CO2. Your fish and plants will do just fine so don't worry about that. If you can, try to run extra aeration (bubble stones, etc.) and keep the tank temp at 77F or lower. After three to five days remove the covers and you should find all of the BGA dead. This is the method Tom Barr recommends and I have used it several times with 100% success, and the best part is it doesn't cost a thing :)

I've heard cyano can be cured with a blackout as well. tThe reason the algae stuff isn't working is because bluegreen algae isn't really algea, its a bacteria that uses photosynthesis.

Erythro. is the LAST option for getting rid of cyano. Start with making sure you have proper nitrate levels, then try the blackout method after manually removing as much cyano as possible.

Back
Top Bottom