Blue Green FW Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Went to a new fish place today, and found some very neat FW shrimp. They're greenish blue. I cannot figure out what they are tho. Not ghost, not amanos, not Vietnamese Blue shrimp. They are not macrobrachiums, so they'll be fine with the fish, and don't have fan claws. Anyone have ANY idea what they are? I grabbed a few pics thru the bag, so they're not great, but at least the color shows and the basic body shape:

Couple better pics. Oh, and the keyholes are absolutely fascinated LOL

I have no experience with shrimp but to me it just looks like a blue amano shrimp. Doesn't it look strikingly similar to this amano:

ebi.jpg

Cool! I thought it looked like an amano, but I've never seen a blue one so figured I was wrong.

Darn it. There was one more in the tank, but since the poor guy spent a 15 mins catching 9 cardinals, (they were selling them as neons at $1 each *grin*), the koi angel I got for $5 (cheap cheap cheap!), plus the 3 shrimp I got, I told him not to worry bout the last one. Shoulda made him go for it ;)

Where did u find the pic Endgame? Is there any more?

LOL They keyholes are definitely wondering if the amanos are edible. Problem is, the amanos are as long if not longer LOL so they gave up (these keyholes are teeny).

Heh of course; I went to all the shrimp sites and didn't do a simple google image search. Duh!

Alli, some of my amanos are blue and some are red! Very pretty...

Also, although I rarely see mine (they like to hide in the base of my ozelot sword), I've seen youngsters on at least one occasion so don't be surprised if they breed.

I saw a shrimp called a green leaf shrimp today... very cool. cost $5.00 though, so I passes. That's a tad pricey for a single shrimp! LOL this store has been selling fun shrimp... they had a FW flower shrimp, blue line shrimp, red line shrimp... very fun

I also saw the most beautiful male apistogramma cacatoides... i had to march myself straight out of that store to resist the impulse buy

Nope. Never QT shrimp, especially filter and algae eaters. I feel they need mature tanks to do well, and the problems they have are generally not transmittable to fish. For example, the bunch of cheap ghost shrimp I got a while back had the evil
nematodes. Never affected my fish, even when the nematode left the shrimp (bleaugh). Its a chance, but a very small one and one I'm willing to take.

*grrrr* I hate it when lfs make up names. I looked up green leaf shrimp; its not on the net; neither is red line or blue line. What did they look like? I discovered flower shrimp are actually wood/bamboo shrimp, aka Atyopsis mollucensis.

Endgame319,

Nice picture. It came from my site. I had to change it because too many people like yourself were using this picture from my site with no credit. This is copyright of ADA, and not it is not a 'Blue Shrimp', it is a Caridina japonica. You can read more about this shrimp here:
http://suiso.com/ebi.htm

Regards,
Ryan

Well, I saw Allivymar and BrianNY this wknd, and I got 25 new amanos (Allison got 6 more). All of the amanos I bought looked like this to an extent: some were blue-tinged through and through, others just had the blue triangle at the caudal peduncle (base of tail). Now they're in my QT tank (I'm waiting until they're a bit bigger before putting them in the main tank), they have lost all hint of blueness and are yellow. Wierd.

I can't come up with any explanation for this, except that the breeders/dealers might be feeding the shrimp different food...

Oh, and btw, if any of you saw my similar post a few weeks ago about red amanos, they did turn out to be Cherry Shrimp... BUT when these are young they only have red down their back, so they look like red-striped amanos. With time, they've become a beautiful bright red all over!

Medge,

what did the green leaf shrimp look like? Does the name "say it all?" Was it a bright green? How big? How was it shaped? I've never seen anything like this before, and would be very interested to find out about it.

Any chance you can get pictures of these shrimp to show us all when you're there next? My curiosity is getting the better of me!

Back
Top Bottom