Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fadetoblack06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kenosha, Wi
Posts: 537
Send a message via Yahoo to fadetoblack06
blue lobster

i think my blue lobster has eaten my albino bristle nose. the bristlenose was about an inch and a half and the lobster is about two inches. It's most probable that the lobster got him right? If that's the case I think I may want to rehome him or put him in with the koi. I do not want more casualties.
__________________

__________________
fadetoblack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,911
Yes, very likely. They aren't really candidates for community living..they will eat whatever they can catch..I wouldn't be surprised if he got the pleco first
__________________

__________________
siva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,677
there oppurtunistic predators. there not actually lobsters,there crayfish. depending on the species,it could reach 12" long
__________________
nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fadetoblack06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kenosha, Wi
Posts: 537
Send a message via Yahoo to fadetoblack06
so would it be better with the koi then? they're in a 20 gallon tank.
__________________
fadetoblack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetoblack06 View Post
so would it be better with the koi then? they're in a 20 gallon tank.
yes,it would be better with the koi. i surebhope you dont mean the koi are in a 20
__________________
nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Sparky74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 236
Before you convict him, I have a Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster and thought he was eating my fish(in 55 gal). But what was actually happening was the fish would get stuck to the intake on the powerhead(has screen, but if the fish swam just in right spot they got stuck) and the lobster would come along and pluck the dead fish off. I came home and found the fish stuck before the lobster found did.

Once I put filter attachments on powerheads, no more fish deaths.

My RTS shares a tree trunk with the lobster and sits across his claws from time to time...Lobster could care less.

Mine has definitely learned when feeding time is, I make sure I drop food his way and he totally ignores the fish and makes a b-line for the pellets/etc.

I see fish swim right through his claws all the time and he seems to have no interest at all in the fish...Dead ones however, he will chomp right up.

Mine likes the Nutrafin spirulina meal tablets, bottom feeder sinking food tablets(one with clown loaches on label) and shrimp pellets.

I usually drop some flakes in to get fish feeding and he comes out to look for dropping food. For a while I would practically place the pellet in front of him each time I put flakes in. He seems to have learned...



__________________
Sparky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fadetoblack06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kenosha, Wi
Posts: 537
Send a message via Yahoo to fadetoblack06
the koi are in a twenty. they're like 3 long right now but I am waiting for my 55 to come in. the filter for the 55 I have now has a filter ment for a 75 and he was only about an inch so he could have been sucked in. I wanted to give the cobalt lobster a chance with the other fish.
__________________
fadetoblack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetoblack06 View Post
the koi are in a twenty. they're like 3 long right now but I am waiting for my 55 to come in. the filter for the 55 I have now has a filter ment for a 75 and he was only about an inch so he could have been sucked in. I wanted to give the cobalt lobster a chance with the other fish.
koi should be in ponds of at bleast 1000 gallons,they get huge
__________________
nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetoblack06 View Post
the koi are in a twenty. they're like 3 long right now but I am waiting for my 55 to come in. the filter for the 55 I have now has a filter ment for a 75 and he was only about an inch so he could have been sucked in. I wanted to give the cobalt lobster a chance with the other fish.
Koi are pond fish...you can't keep them in a 55 gallon...atleast I can't imagine that. They get HUGE.
__________________
siva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparyky74 View Post
Before you convict him, I have a Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster and thought he was eating my fish(in 55 gal). But what was actually happening was the fish would get stuck to the intake on the powerhead(has screen, but if the fish swam just in right spot they got stuck) and the lobster would come along and pluck the dead fish off. I came home and found the fish stuck before the lobster found did.

Once I put filter attachments on powerheads, no more fish deaths.

My RTS shares a tree trunk with the lobster and sits across his claws from time to time...Lobster could care less.

Mine has definitely learned when feeding time is, I make sure I drop food his way and he totally ignores the fish and makes a b-line for the pellets/etc.

I see fish swim right through his claws all the time and he seems to have no interest at all in the fish...Dead ones however, he will chomp right up.

Mine likes the Nutrafin spirulina meal tablets, bottom feeder sinking food tablets(one with clown loaches on label) and shrimp pellets.

I usually drop some flakes in to get fish feeding and he comes out to look for dropping food. For a while I would practically place the pellet in front of him each time I put flakes in. He seems to have learned...

The redtail is likely large enough that the cray doesn't see it as food. In the wild they could easily eat 15% of their own body weight daily..no matter how much you feed them it's likely they will eventually kill a fish...it's just in their nature. In the wild they would be killing and eating small fish..lots of them. Maybe some never will..but I think this is the exception and not the rule.
__________________

__________________
siva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blue lobster, lobster

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cockatoo Apisto or German Blue Rams? Aqua315 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 07-08-2011 09:40 PM
Blue Algae jillw28 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 07-07-2011 02:56 PM
Wanted: German Blue Ram CaptnIgnit Archive 1 07-03-2011 12:50 AM
Blue Spiney Lobster Fischerman45 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 7 07-02-2011 01:46 PM
Two dead blue fins Brough5754 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 0 06-26-2011 01:29 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×