blue lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i think my blue lobster has eaten my albino bristle nose. the bristlenose was about an inch and a half and the lobster is about two inches. It's most probable that the lobster got him right? If that's the case I think I may want to rehome him or put him in with the koi. I do not want more casualties.

Yes, very likely. They aren't really candidates for community living..they will eat whatever they can catch..I wouldn't be surprised if he got the pleco first :(

there oppurtunistic predators. there not actually lobsters,there crayfish. depending on the species,it could reach 12" long

Before you convict him, I have a Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster and thought he was eating my fish(in 55 gal). But what was actually happening was the fish would get stuck to the intake on the powerhead(has screen, but if the fish swam just in right spot they got stuck) and the lobster would come along and pluck the dead fish off. I came home and found the fish stuck before the lobster found did.

Once I put filter attachments on powerheads, no more fish deaths.

My RTS shares a tree trunk with the lobster and sits across his claws from time to time...Lobster could care less.

Mine has definitely learned when feeding time is, I make sure I drop food his way and he totally ignores the fish and makes a b-line for the pellets/etc.

I see fish swim right through his claws all the time and he seems to have no interest at all in the fish...Dead ones however, he will chomp right up.

Mine likes the Nutrafin spirulina meal tablets, bottom feeder sinking food tablets(one with clown loaches on label) and shrimp pellets.

I usually drop some flakes in to get fish feeding and he comes out to look for dropping food. For a while I would practically place the pellet in front of him each time I put flakes in. He seems to have learned...

Last edited:
the koi are in a twenty. they're like 3 long right now but I am waiting for my 55 to come in. the filter for the 55 I have now has a filter ment for a 75 and he was only about an inch so he could have been sucked in. I wanted to give the cobalt lobster a chance with the other fish.

the koi are in a twenty. they're like 3 long right now but I am waiting for my 55 to come in. the filter for the 55 I have now has a filter ment for a 75 and he was only about an inch so he could have been sucked in. I wanted to give the cobalt lobster a chance with the other fish.
koi should be in ponds of at bleast 1000 gallons,they get huge

Koi are pond fish...you can't keep them in a 55 gallon...atleast I can't imagine that. They get HUGE.

Before you convict him, I have a Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster and thought he was eating my fish(in 55 gal). But what was actually happening was the fish would get stuck to the intake on the powerhead(has screen, but if the fish swam just in right spot they got stuck) and the lobster would come along and pluck the dead fish off. I came home and found the fish stuck before the lobster found did.

Once I put filter attachments on powerheads, no more fish deaths.

My RTS shares a tree trunk with the lobster and sits across his claws from time to time...Lobster could care less.

Mine has definitely learned when feeding time is, I make sure I drop food his way and he totally ignores the fish and makes a b-line for the pellets/etc.

I see fish swim right through his claws all the time and he seems to have no interest at all in the fish...Dead ones however, he will chomp right up.

Mine likes the Nutrafin spirulina meal tablets, bottom feeder sinking food tablets(one with clown loaches on label) and shrimp pellets.

I usually drop some flakes in to get fish feeding and he comes out to look for dropping food. For a while I would practically place the pellet in front of him each time I put flakes in. He seems to have learned...
The redtail is likely large enough that the cray doesn't see it as food. In the wild they could easily eat 15% of their own body weight daily..no matter how much you feed them it's likely they will eventually kill a fish...it's just in their nature. In the wild they would be killing and eating small fish..lots of them. Maybe some never will..but I think this is the exception and not the rule.

Back
Top Bottom