blue lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StixS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
does anyone have any experience keeping a Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster in a planted tank with tetras or cory cats? and do u recommend them?

From what I hear... I don't think any crab, lobster, or crayfish should be kept with fish of any size. Epecially since cory cats are bottom dwellers types... I wouldn't advise it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Had one in my community tank. It killed and ate my pleco, and then, rather than go after the less expensive guppies or neons, it caught and killed one of my angels.

It turned into an expensive treat for my oscars.

Yes, I agree...it will attack and eat your fish. It will probably seem like everything is okay at first but while you sleep it will hunt your fish and eventually the hunt will be successful...most likely at night when the fish are sleeping and unawares as well.

I had 2 red lobster, crawfish in a community tank and they never went after my other fish nor my mudpuppies. It might have been because I fed them on feeders but I never lost a fish I wanted to keep, to the lobster anyway. Just watch out, they are master escape artists even if the tank is sealed like mine were, they will push their way out if the lid is too light.

Blue lobsters are FW crayfish.
They will try to catch and eat any fish in the tank - especially bottomdwellers like corys. Eventually, given time and the small confines of an aquarium, they will succeed.
Crays live longer in unheated water, so they really don't belong with tropical fiah anyway.
They will also tear up living plants and are master escape artists.

Despite their aggressive and destructive tendencies, they are a really fun animal to keep with lots of personality. Just don't subject your fish and your plants to that personality! :wink: A well-aerated 5 gal or larger tank will suit one crayfish just fine.

I wouldn't do it if I were you beacuse mine the little devil :twisted: ate and shred my live plants. So he is now in a 10g alone with 4 female guppies that he doesn't bother but he aslo escapes ALOT! But I still like him. :D
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom