Blue Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone got one or had one? I just bought one for my community tank. Seems to be passive enough, was letting one cory cat eat off the same wafer he was eating off of.

I have one in a tank with buenes aires tetras, tigar barbs and an eel. If your fish swim into his claws he will have no qualms hurting the fish. However, mine seems to be doing well in the tank. He's already molted twice which was pretty exciting.

Crayfish are wonderful. They are quite comical to watch as they try to ambush their tank mates. I recommend putting them in with faster moving fish such as danios or barbs. Otherwise they will do what comes naturally and you will be missing fish. They do require hiding places especially if you have more than one. But once they acclimate, you can spend hours watching their crazy antics.

Mine hid alot the first few days but now he's out and about trying to get his little claws on what ever he can. They are nocturnal but mine does come out during the day too. Just more so at night.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Woke up this morning and the little monster has killed my favorite female betta. He is now out ot the tank waiting on petco to open. Hopefully they will give me me money back. :cry:

Research first, purchase second. I feel bad when folks learn the hard way, but daggone it, learn about the creatures you want, before you go to the store! Impulse purchases lead to things like this all the time.
And 1 Blue Lobster (MURDERER)

NOT his fault, he did what comes naturally to him.

Well he is gone. and used the money to buy back some fish I lost. I know it's his nature but I didn't know even if he was full he would attack. Or maybe he didn't like the food I got for him. Oh well. Add 3 female betta's and 4 Cherry Barbs to my tank :D :D

Will crayfish climb out of the water? I have a small separate pool in my tank (see my gallery for a better idea of what I'm talking about) and I thin kit might be neat to have one of these, as long as he wouldn't climb out of the water, and over the rocks into the main tank. I don't wanna risk having him in the same space as my fish.

-J

I wouldn't trust one at all, If I was to get another he would be in a tank by himself. Murderous little wretch.

Will crayfish climb out of the water?

YES!!! they are masterful escape artists.

As you can see, they are also predators/scavengers, and sometimes dangerous to keep with fish.

2cents, I have to say this again, perhaps more forcefully. It's not the crayfish's fault. His brain is the size of a pinhead, he was operating on instinct.
In the future, I sure hope you do your research on compatiblility before making purchases. If you have a tragedy like this, you must look to see what the cause was. In this case, it was lack of knowledge, and not the crayfish's knowledge. Your betta is not dead because of the crayfish, you follow me?

I think justmy2cents understands the concept that it wasn't TRULY the blue lobsters fault, but it is still hard when you lose a fish you really liked suddenly.

Thank you. yes I know it was MY fault but I just couldn't believe my Fav. blue Betta. I guess I learned a very hard lesson. From now on no more "semi" (yea, right) fish.

"Add 3 female betta's and 4 Cherry Barbs to my tank"

This caught my attention since you bought seven fish at once. You have 2 and 4 each of a lot of fish that like to be in schools of 6 or more. Also, you have over 100 inches of fish when they get to be full grown. I have been guilty of some overstocking myself and it was fine for a few months and then went downhill fast. You obviously care about your fish, so if you could decrease the fish load and get your fish in schools it might save you a lot of pain later.

Back
Top Bottom