Blue lobster death by shedding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedDevil83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's just weird

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1439792005378.jpg
    1439792005378.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 130
Might have been the wife turning up the temp too much, I don't tend to her tank much.....

Anyone have an idea what could have happened? Also if the temp was a factor and why this could happen this way?

Hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????? Lol oh well

Ok lol I'm 32, have one daughter (5) and my wife is the maid. How about you?

Ok lol I'm 32, have one daughter (5) and my wife is the maid. How about you?

Seems random I'm sure but it does help to paint the picture of this tank.

I'm 24, married with no kids and too poor for a maid, even my wife, who would cost more than a conventional maid BTW.

Having joint accounts doesn't help lol I work and she takes care of the bills. Think she neglects her tank because I opened the filter housing a couple weeks ago and it was completely dark brown! No wonder her frogs died, what little were left got killed by the lobster which brings up a question. Are Dwarf frogs poisonous to lobsters? Hmmm maybe I should take care of her tank I guess it's only a 10 anyway

While I have no experience with fw crayfish I do know that molting can be difficult on inverts in the sw world and I imagine it's the same with crayfish, so it was most likely a bad molt. Sorry for the loss

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have you tested your GH? If the GH is too high it can cause problems with molting, resulting in death. This is often seen with shrimp so I would assume it is feasible with crayfish. I would test and then research to find the magic number.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the feed back, never had a blue lobster before, but the wife sees shiny and wants it...fml

Diet is a factor with molting as well. If they aren't getting enough calcium then they can't molt properly.
How long have you had it? Had it been molting successfully until now?

My crayfish molted without issue every 4-6 weeks for a little over a year, and then suddenly had all sorts of problems that lead to its death. Never did nail down the cause. Might've just been old age.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thats not very long... its possible it wasnt in the greatest shape when you got it.
They do tend to molt shortly after arriving in a new habitat. I think it might have something to do with the stress of moving. If that was its first molt while in your care, I would suspect that there was something wrong from the start.

That said, if you decide to replace it, then I would suggest doing some research ahead of time. They're a little bit more difficult to care for than fish and shrimp. Having had one, Im not in a big rush to get another.

Check out the Mexican Dwarf Crayfish. While they still have more strict water and food requirements, Ive found them to be a little easier to care for.

Thats not very long... its possible it wasnt in the greatest shape when you got it.
They do tend to molt shortly after arriving in a new habitat. I think it might have something to do with the stress of moving. If that was its first molt while in your care, I would suspect that there was something wrong from the start.

That said, if you decide to replace it, then I would suggest doing some research ahead of time. They're a little bit more difficult to care for than fish and shrimp. Having had one, Im not in a big rush to get another.

Check out the Mexican Dwarf Crayfish. While they still have more strict water and food requirements, Ive found them to be a little easier to care for.

Thanks for the the reply, yeah I convinced her to not go for things she knows nothing about and neither do I lol,so sticking to what we know best is fish,just got back from the lfs and she wants soft shell turtles and I had to say no they get big, she says but they're so cute! I say kittens are cute but they grow up and claw your feet when you sleep.

Back
Top Bottom