Blue or Bolivian Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMurrays

Aquarium Advice Freak
We purchased this pair tonight, and are not really sure if they are blue or bolivian rams. Pic to come....

Their color is brighter in person. They are very yellow. They have red eyes and red edges along the fins. They have a few shiny spots on their fins.

TheMurrays said:
Great... I've heard they are hard to care for. We were hoping we got blue rams. Haha. Any suggestions?

Bolivians are actually a LOT easier to take care of than German blue rams. German blues are very depending when it comes to water quality, but it is actually easier to take care of them than many people think (or so I've heard.) your bolivians should do fantastic with a good diet and weekly water changes.

But wait for a second opinion on the species-I'm not 100% sure they're bolivians.

Bolivians are actually a LOT easier to take care of than German blue rams. German blues are very depending when it comes to water quality, but it is actually easier to take care of them than many people think (or so I've heard.) your bolivians should do fantastic with a good diet and weekly water changes.

But wait for a second opinion on the species-I'm not 100% sure they're bolivians.

Ok... Keeping my fingers crossed!

100% positive these are blue rams (microgeophagus ramirezi) and not bolivian rams (microgeophagus altispinosa). Their color is quite washed out now, no doubt from stress. It should improve shortly.

100% positive these are blue rams (microgeophagus ramirezi) and not bolivian rams (microgeophagus altispinosa). Their color is quite washed out now, no doubt from stress. It should improve shortly.

So any advice on keeping these guys alive since they are more sensitive?

TheMurrays said:

Well, there you go. George screws up again lol.

I hope I don't screw this up but I believe blue rams can be a bit more sensitive but if you stick to your water changes and feed them a quality food they will do great. I know a few people that don't do anything special for them but a good matinence schedule and a good diet and they're doing awesome.

TheMurrays said:

50% water change a week, steady, healthy diet, and basically a steady scheduale of feeding, and changes.

Adding plants to the tank would help if you dont already have some..

What would be a healthy diet for them? We feed shrimp pellets mostly... We have a lot of bottom feeders.

TheMurrays said:
What would be a healthy diet for them? We feed shrimp pellets mostly... We have a lot of bottom feeders.

NLS pellets, Omega flakes, and the occasional meaty foods:)

I dont keep rams yet, but the food I feed are new life spectrum pellets, some kind of tetra color pellets, omega one flakes, frozen brine shrimp once a week. I highly recommend the new life spectrum brand. Very good food. But I think a good variety is key.

Gboy66 said:
NLS pellets, Omega flakes, and the occasional meaty foods:)
Man, it's like we're saying the same things lol :D

TheMurrays said:
Which ones are more sensitive? We need hardy fish!

Bolivian Rams are not sensitive they way easier in my experience. I know blue rams are pretty but really difficult. If you want a nice looking chiclid for a community setup, try are female kribensis (spelling?) I have that and a Bolivian and they live great together.

In terms of finding out what you have, check out Liveaquaria.com. Good pictures.

Back
Top Bottom