Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Blue or Cherry shrimp care

Just wondering I started a tank a few days ago and threw some tetras and plants in to start the cycle and speed things up a bit. Is it ok to put Blue or Cherry shrimp in this early to clean up the remainder foods and I assume I can maybe get some algae pellets or is it still way too soon?

Found a good deal on a local breeder that I want to jump on asap.

Here is also a photo of my new setup.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190922_150154.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	314016

Old 09-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would say no , but read up on fish in cycling and decide for yourself.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Way to early, wait a month or 2 after its cycled.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #4

Ok will do I just posted another post about my nitrite and nitrates being 0 after 6 days still but I assume it still needs time to cycle even though that's what it says. I was just concerned about losing out on this shrimp deal. Wasn't sure how hardy they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Way to early, wait a month or 2 after its cycled.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They're pretty hardy but they really need lots of surface film to graze on, which you really only get with time.
Tacit Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

So algae pellets or left overs from the others wouldn't suffice?
Old 09-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

A cycling tank is no place for shrimp, good deal on shrimp + cycling parameter fluctuation generally causes dead shrimp = lost money.

The biofilm is really important for overall health. Stable parameters and matured tank, meaning not having ups and downs any longer on parameters, even after feeding or water changes. Which often is slightly longer (a month maybe of monitoring) after the actual cycle is completed.

Following with frequent testing after a cycle takes time to know if it is stable.

I have seen experienced keepers set up a new tank and put shrimp in right away, but they usually have filter media or DW or Stones or substrate moved from an established tank. And experience - watch closely and test.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. I shall be patient. When do people generally do their first water change before they start going consistent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
A cycling tank is no place for shrimp, good deal on shrimp + cycling parameter fluctuation generally causes dead shrimp = lost money.

The biofilm is really important for overall health. Stable parameters and matured tank, meaning not having ups and downs any longer on parameters, even after feeding or water changes. Which often is slightly longer (a month maybe of monitoring) after the actual cycle is completed.

Following with frequent testing after a cycle takes time to know if it is stable.

I have seen experienced keepers set up a new tank and put shrimp in right away, but they usually have filter media or DW or Stones or substrate moved from an established tank. And experience - watch closely and test.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

So you have fish and you will need to monitor the tank water to make sure the parameters stay in a safe zone for them.

You will need to test frequently and sometimes more than once a day when the levels are rising high.

Nitrite is bad for fish and you will need to watch for that.

When the ammonia and nitrite disappear, nitrAte should begin rising.

Here are a couple threads in case you haven't seen them. Pretty similar /different perspective.

From the below article
"How do I know when my tank is cycled? Your Ammonia levels will gradually give way to higher Nitrite levels. Nitrite will lower to zero and Nitrates will start to rise. When you consistently test zero for Ammonia & Nitrite and have increasing Nitrate, you have a cycled tank! (Woohoo!) Remember that each fish you add will add more Ammonia and that time should be allowed for the bacteria to catch up. Add slowly and responsibly and you will enjoy the hobby even more and your fish will thrive. Happy Fishkeeping!"

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Also this for some good overview resource info
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Meant to add that after the nitrAte rise there would be a good sized pwc and then you have the cycled tank.

Watching the parameters after you get done adding any other fish you are planning for will be about a month usually for the time when shrimp will be ready after about 4 weeks of no fish losses, spiking parameters and everything just humming along. Then you will have the early stages of a maturing tank.

Doing things like changing filter pads and causing a mini cycle or the tank to recycle, changing substrate will be problematic for a cycled tank.

As you may already know, the filter media is where the BB grow and colonize and you want to keep as many as possible. But they feed on what is available, and starve out let's say if you took out all the fish and didn't feed the tank anything making ammonia.

So keeping things nice and smooth, pwc each week or when necessary, not over feeding, cleaning but not over cleaning. Giving shrimp the biofilm on side and back glass and wood and plants keep the world happy.

Community Rules

FW & SW

Tags
blue, care, cherry, cherry shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com