blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have any Blue Rams. If so what has been their experience / success rate. I got one to go with my Bolivian and he's pretty freaked. This leads to my next question. Anybody have any kribensis chiclids? If I trade my ram for that do I need a pair or can they just be solo?

kribs get aggressive in pairs. a female would be your best bet. i have never kept blue rams, but i know that they can be very unstable depending on the quality of stock.

Yeah, rams can be pretty touchy fish.
What size is your tank? Is there a lot of cover? What are the parameters?
Yes, you can have a single krib. Even singles can be a bit hit-or-miss in communities though.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, rams can be pretty touchy fish.
What size is your tank? Is there a lot of cover? What are the parameters?
Yes, you can have a single krib. Even singles can be a bit hit-or-miss in communities though.

What do you mean kribs can be hit and miss?

I have a 55 gallon. There is quite a bit of cover. I built 3 rock caves and there's lots of big plants and driftwood. Ill try and post a pic.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120106_210901.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120106_210901.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20120106_210956.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120106_210956.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 86
They can be hit and miss in communities. Sometimes, with well-selected tankmates, even a pair of kribs does fine in a community. Sometimes even just one krib harasses all its tankmates and gets aggressive. Thats what I meant. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It seems to have more to do with the individual fish than generaloizations about the species. :)

I love my rams! They are so much fun to watch. They flutter at each other and play constantly. Even now with ich in the tank they're still playing. They are sensitive fish though. You really have to watch the temp (they prefer warmer temps) and params of their tank. Even a tiny bit of ammonia can effect them. I haven't had the chance yet to see if their behavior changes when they spawn, however I have heard from many sources they will become aggressive and very territorial to protect the eggs. (not unlike many species of fish) I have mine in a community tank as well and haven't had any issues with them getting along with all the fish.

Thanks everyone. Im not so much concerned about tank mates as I am having to keep pristine water conditions. I usually have grey conditions however our water around her has a very high ph. It looks like these fish can't tolerate that wwll

i would suggest some peat moss to lower that ph for your ram... they do well in about 7.4 conditions.

blackmolly said:
i would suggest some peat moss to lower that ph for your ram... they do well in about 7.4 conditions.

Doesn't that cloud the water

Well just left the fish store with a new krib in exchange for the blue ram. I was on the fence about getting another golden wonder killi instead but my old one was to agressive and was happier with a mate.

Why did you trade in the ram? BTW, for future reference, as long as the rams are from good stock, they totally fine in pH's even above 8. A couple people on here had their rams breed above 8.
Good luck with the krib. I hope it does well in your community.

Back
Top Bottom