Blue ram questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regular rams, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

David

Oh okay!

Here's a pic of my 10 gal :)

image-2517230434.jpg

I was wondering If I could possible divide 1/4 of the tank off with a divider and have the rams on the larger side and some fry on the other side? Since my nursery is already a little overstocked .

I was wondering If I could possible divide 1/4 of the tank off with a divider and have the rams on the larger side and some fry on the other side? Since my nursery is already a little overstocked .

Are you talking about the fry from the rams? You don't need to separate them. The male and female will take care of the fry.

Fry from other fish? You can try keeping them in the same tank and let nature take its course. Don't put any dividers in the 10-gallon; it's small enough as it is.

David

Are you talking about the fry from the rams? You don't need to separate them. The male and female will take care of the fry.

Fry from other fish? You can try keeping them in the same tank and let nature take its course. Don't put any dividers in the 10-gallon; it's small enough as it is.

David

Okay, that's what I might have to do because I don't have space for any on my nursery . Oh well. Once the rams have the eggs and the eggs hatch, do I need to separate them ? Or will they still take care of the fry?

You don't need to do anything, the rams will take care of their own fry. They might have to learn to be good parents, so they may have a few runs at it before they're successful at raising their fry.

David

I'm thinking electric blue rams. I've heard there sensitive to water conditions , but mine are stable.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Ph 7.2

I might need to get my ph down a little bit, and my tank has been established for a year now.

What temperature water do they like. Mine 80 degrees at the moment but I can lower

You don't need to do anything, the rams will take care of their own fry. They might have to learn to be good parents, so they may have a few runs at it before they're successful at raising their fry.

David

Wow, I'd love to watch this process! I never knew a fish would take care of their fry, I always thought they would just eat it!

Most cichlids, if not all, provide some form of brood care, and they're not the only fish family that does so. It is indeed interesting to watch.

Good luck.

David

Most cichlids, if not all, provide some form of brood care, and they're not the only fish family that does so. It is indeed interesting to watch.

Good luck.

David

Okay so after multiple hours of thinking , I've decided I'm going to thin out my stock in the 26 gallon and just add the rams to that tank because I have no patients lol.

I'm going to redo my aqua scape over the next 2-3 weeks and eventually add the two rams and up my school of neons. :) I'm also going to try and give away the two lone tetras if possible.

I want to take out all my fake plants and ornaments, switch my gravel to Eco complete, and add a piece of driftwood.

My plant Stock would possibly be
Java fern
Water sprite
Amazon swords
Moss ball
Brazilian pennywort

The stock in my 26 will be

2 German blue rams
5 neon tetras
2 Cory's ( I know I shouldn't but something has to clean the bottom up)
1 albino pleco
1 dwarf gourami
1 male veiltail betta
A few mystery snails

How does this sound :)

Okay so after multiple hours of thinking , I've decided I'm going to thin out my stock in the 26 gallon and just add the rams to that tank because I have no patients lol.

I'm going to redo my aqua scape over the next 2-3 weeks and eventually add the two rams and up my school of neons. :) I'm also going to try and give away the two lone tetras if possible.

I want to take out all my fake plants and ornaments, switch my gravel to Eco complete, and add a piece of driftwood.

My plant Stock would possibly be
Java fern
Water sprite
Amazon swords
Moss ball
Brazilian pennywort

The stock in my 26 will be

2 German blue rams
5 neon tetras
2 Cory's ( I know I shouldn't but something has to clean the bottom up)
1 albino pleco
1 dwarf gourami
1 male veiltail betta
A few mystery snails

How does this sound :)
I wouldn't do Cory's, even though you say something needs to clean up, they need 4+ in their shoals. Your other fish should pick up sunken food anyway and a gravel vac should be used for poop. Everything else sounds fine to me though, as long as you have a backup plan for your betta but you already know about that. Make sure you supplement your plecos food too. Those plants should all do fine, what's your lighting?

I wouldn't do Cory's, even though you say something needs to clean up, they need 4+ in their shoals. Your other fish should pick up sunken food anyway and a gravel vac should be used for poop. Everything else sounds fine to me though, as long as you have a backup plan for your betta but you already know about that. Make sure you supplement your plecos food too. Those plants should all do fine, what's your lighting?

I don't have a gravel vacuum, I just use my siphon and push it down in the gravel, would that work? And yep, I do have a backup plan for the betta. Lol Im sooo excited, and don't have any patients I wish I could just get it all done at once.

What's a good food supplement for the pleco?

My tank light is in the pic, it came In a kit. Produces lots of light.

image-2311723260.jpg

Here's what it says about the light in the description of the tank

image-1857960999.jpg

Yeah sounds good as long as you pay attention to the betta/gourami. And also, I think you could add 5 more neon tetras.

Yeah sounds good as long as you pay attention to the betta/gourami. And also, I think you could add 5 more neon tetras.

Could I possibly do two schools of 5 instead of the 10 neons? That be really pretty! And what's your opinion on the Cory's. would you keep them or swap them out When I get the rams?

I'd swap. After seeing that its only 24 in. Long, definitely. For the bottom, you don't need fish. An d you could do 2 of 5 as long as the others are small. Harqualin rasboras, blak neons, glowlight tetras, and hatchetfish are a few

I'd swap. After seeing that its only 24 in. Long, definitely. For the bottom, you don't need fish. An d you could do 2 of 5 as long as the others are small. Harqualin rasboras, blak neons, glowlight tetras, and hatchetfish are a few

Alright i guess ill eventually move them. I like hatchetfish because they are so unusual, I just wish they were a little more colorful. I'm gonna do some research and see if there is any bright colorful schooling fish, I'll let you know if I find one I like.

Look at marbled hatchets. Still not colorful but a better look IMO than the silvers. Other unusual guys could be headstanders or threads in rainbowfish

Look at marbled hatchets. Still not colorful but a better look IMO than the silvers. Other unusual guys could be headstanders or threads in rainbowfish

Okay so I went on live aquaria and found these schooling fish that I liked. Would any of these work

image-2611642031.jpg

image-412596002.jpg

image-4234218265.jpg

image-3410575730.jpg

image-3488300861.jpg

White clouds- yes
Cherry barbs-yes
Bleading heart- no, too big and active
Zebra danio yes
Harqualin rasbora. Yes
The white clouds I've read loose their colors at higher temps and thrive at 72 while the rams thrive at 78-80 so Mabye not them. Harqualin rasbora are great little guys!

White clouds- yes
Cherry barbs-yes
Bleading heart- no, too big and active
Zebra danio yes
Harqualin rasbora. Yes
The white clouds I've read loose their colors at higher temps and thrive at 72 while the rams thrive at 78-80 so Mabye not them. Harqualin rasbora are great little guys!

I like the white clouds, cherry barbs, and zebra danios the best! I wish I could get a few of each and they would all school together but that's not possible is it?

Nope not possible. I know white clouds have different varietys : longfinned, golden, mountian, red. And I'm not sure if they school together tho

Back
Top Bottom