Blue Ram with Cockatoo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
10 gallon - current residents cockatoo cichlid, zebra danio, dalamation sailfin molly, ruby barb

I have always love the GBRs but I am nervous about them being so delicate. I do 25%+ weekly water changes, feed every other day, and observe all the time. That is about all the work I want to put into my tank right now.

Question 1: Can I have these two cichlids together?

Question 2: Should I wait to add another fish until I lose one (or more) of the current ones? The zebra is almost 2 years old now, the other 3 are new and I hope will be around for a while.

A GBR is one of the fish I am considering, others I am considering are tougher, and I would be happy with them, but I would really love to have another GBR.

twoodrough said:
10 gallon - current residents cockatoo cichlid, zebra danio, dalamation sailfin molly, ruby barb

I have always love the GBRs but I am nervous about them being so delicate. I do 25%+ weekly water changes, feed every other day, and observe all the time. That is about all the work I want to put into my tank right now.

Question 1: Can I have these two cichlids together?

Question 2: Should I wait to add another fish until I lose one (or more) of the current ones? The zebra is almost 2 years old now, the other 3 are new and I hope will be around for a while.

A GBR is one of the fish I am considering, others I am considering are tougher, and I would be happy with them, but I would really love to have another GBR.

I don't think rams or cockatoo cichlids should be in a 10 gallon tank. They get a little too big (ram over 3 inches, cockatoo over 4). A pair of one of those species might work alone in that tank, but with the current stocking I don't think it will. When breeding, both of these fish get aggressive and will chase away other fish. There is no where to chase them in a 10G, though. LOL. The tank seems stocked IMO. The zebra danios and ruby barb need a bigger tank for more swimming room. The platy could use a bigger tank too, but it should be ok if you have enough filtration. Are you expecting the zebra danio to die after only 2 years? Most fish can live 5+ years in a well maintained tank. Rams and cockatoos can be together, in a big enough tank. Maybe like 40 gallons. You could try to rehome other fish like the danio and molly, but IMO those two cichlids are not a good option for a 10 gallon. There are shell dwelling cichlids that you could have, but they are a little hard to find. There are also nano fish like chili rasboras.

A 10g tank is fine for a breeding pair of either rams or apistos if they are the only inhabitant. I've even done a trio of triple reds in a 10g before. Just provide some clay pots for each fish to get away from the others and you are good. I wouldn't add anything to your current setup. I would also recommend getting a sexed pair of rams if you think about keeping them. They exhibit many more behaviors to see when you keep them in sexed pairs.

Just make sure you have enough hiding places if you are going to do just rams or just cockatoos.

Back
Top Bottom