Blue Rams:Sick or Breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last Wednesday, my paired Blue Rams that I ordered came in. Their parents are wild so they were a healthy pair that were already mated. Weeks leading to their arrival, I had been fighting ich/flukes. I thought my tank was sickness free for 8 days before they arrived. The first day they were in my tank (after the introduction process of course) they started flashing so I freaked out. The tank is set up for rams- 25 gallon long, heavily planted, caves with sand in them, driftwood, flat rocks, temp at 85 degrees, ph 7.8. I did not see ich and they colored up beautifully, but still flashing. Yesterday I started treating them with Paraguard assuming they were sick and today after work I noticed they laid eggs! Was the flashing sickness, or mating behavior? Should I continue to treat with Paraguard?

Last Wednesday, my paired Blue Rams that I ordered came in. Their parents are wild so they were a healthy pair that were already mated. Weeks leading to their arrival, I had been fighting ich/flukes. I thought my tank was sickness free for 8 days before they arrived. The first day they were in my tank (after the introduction process of course) they started flashing so I freaked out. The tank is set up for rams- 25 gallon long, heavily planted, caves with sand in them, driftwood, flat rocks, temp at 85 degrees, ph 7.8. I did not see ich and they colored up beautifully, but still flashing. Yesterday I started treating them with Paraguard assuming they were sick and today after work I noticed they laid eggs! Was the flashing sickness, or mating behavior? Should I continue to treat with Paraguard?

This may be random, but where did you buy PAIRED rams?! I need a pair of Bolivians :/

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

The breeder only does Blue Rams but I originally found him on eBay. His eBay name is Yunite and is based in California. He buys wild Blue Rams (he has 8 wild breeder pairs of his own), has them breed and combined the fry. Once a pair is spotted from the combination, he separates the pair from the community to make sure they are in fact a pair. Then you can buy them. No hormones injected or any of that. Very healthy and beautiful. I already have fry and it has only been 8 days since I got them. Here are pictures:

Here is them the day I got them:
View attachment 231813

Here is the male fanning the eggs underneath him (orange eggs):
image.jpg

Here is the female hovering over the fry:
View attachment 231812

Last edited:
The breeder only does Blue Rams but I originally found him on eBay. His eBay name is Yunite and is based in California. He buys wild Blue Rams (he has 8 wild breeder pairs of his own), has them breed and combined the fry. Once a pair is spotted from the combination, he separates the pair from the community to make sure they are in fact a pair. Then you can buy them. No hormones injected or any of that. Very healthy and beautiful. I already have fry and it has only been 8 days since I got them.

So should I just google bolivian ram breeder or something? Lol thanks x)

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

I would. I don't trust any LFS when it comes to Rams. I will only buy from people who love and care about the fish as much as I do. I only want healthy, non-inbred fish, without hormones pumped into them in my tank. I hope I can start doing the same with these baby rams and sell them to people who will care for them.

Bah, can't find any bolivian ram breeders! Gonna have to go with the plop 2 in, hope they like each other method... If I got 4 would they fight?!

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

45 is a good size but no more than 4. Make sure you have plenty of plants for them to hide in and to break the line of sight. I would try one male and 3 females to prevent fighting if you are just trying to find one pair

45 is a good size but no more than 4. Make sure you have plenty of plants for them to hide in and to break the line of sight. I would try one male and 3 females to prevent fighting if you are just trying to find one pair

Ah, I'm planning on putting 8 RNT and 5 cories... Too much?

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Back
Top Bottom