Blue Stuff In Betta Cups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was in wal-mart today and "curiosity killed the cat" so I went to see what fish were on todays torture list. So I go and see the 50 goldfish crammed in a tank and then the tank with the yellow labs and convicts in it which were killing the rams and so on :roll: But then I seen the Bettas in ther little plastic cup with a bit of water in it and It has always been blue and I've always wondered but what is the Blue Stuff :? Is it just to show there colors better or what?
Thanks

I am not positive but I think its a medication they put in the water to ward of fin rot and other diseases. I cant remember what it is though.

Maybe it's methylene blue, which is effective against fungus. I've seen other lfs that had bettas in cups with blue or green water.

at the fish store where i shop, they keep the bettas in the hang overs in their main tanks, which is really nice because at least they have a supply of clean water and its more room than a Jar. And i usually see several of them making bubble nest. But ive been in petsmart and walmart and always wondered why they have the bettas in blue water... i always thought it looked awful but never thought it could be medications.

An t-iasg said:
Maybe it's methylene blue, which is effective against fungus. I've seen other lfs that had bettas in cups with blue or green water.

Nah...its magical blue happy water...it makes the bettas giggle. :wink:

Could it be one of those oxygen tab things? When I buy fish, the fish store always puts an air tab into the bag. It turns the water blue. They say that it will help increase oxygen in the bag for longer trips. Since it is 3 hours away we always have them put into the bags.

Fishyfanatic said:
Could it be one of those oxygen tab things?

Sorry, I was so busy be sarcastic in my earlier post that I wasn't clear in affirming that An t-iasg was correct in guessing that the blue stuff is indeed methyl blue.

Back
Top Bottom