Blue water upon purchasing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Never experienced this before. Today I bought 6 Cardinal Tetras, and when I got home I noticed the water in the bag had a blue tint. I didn't notice this in the store. I did some research and it seems that adding Methylene Blue disinfects a fish tank, and actually tints your water blue.

Wtf? Did they sell me sickly fish?

Oh, and I just added live plants so if this is going to affect them, I'll be more than pissed. I didn't add the bag water to my tank, but I am sure a bit got transferred from the net and on the fish.

I think that's called Bag Buddies or something like that. It's a small pill looking thing some LFSs add to the bag when selling fish.

The website says:
The first water conditioner with fish calmer that comes in easy-to-use, mess free tablets. Protects customers' fish by reducing stress, promoting slime coat, removing chlorine and chloramine, neutralizing harmful metals and adding beneficial electrolytes. Plus, with the added fish calmer, fish stress is further reduced. Just one tablet in fish bag water also releases oxygen into the fish bag and ensures fish arrive home safely, in quality condition and better overall health.

I've never had any issues with them. Do your normal acclimation and everything will be fine. I won't speak to the real benefits of it or not, cuz I don't know, but I've not seen anything negative IME.

I think that's called Bag Buddies or something like that. It's a small pill looking thing some LFSs add to the bag when selling fish.

The website says:

I've never had any issues with them. Do your normal acclimation and everything will be fine. I won't speak to the real benefits of it or not, cuz I don't know, but I've not seen anything negative IME.

Phew. Cool stuff, then!
Thanks Neilan.

Some places will use bag buddies, others will use assorted medications as a preventative, and others (like the one I was running) don't need to add anything at all. I would not assume it is bag buddies, it could be quick cure, methylene blue, or other meds. Ask the store and next time ask if you can get fish without the addition.

Just wanted to add:
The Petco near me uses stuff similar to that. It doesn't turn the water blue, but does basically the same things for the fish while they are in a bag that Neilanh said.
Never had a bad experience with this kind of treatment.

The store I work for uses Quick Cure every time we get new fish.

Back
Top Bottom