Blueberry or orange eyed blue tiger shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vienolac

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought what I thought was a blueberry shrimp. A little while back. He was cool!!
I bought him along with a cherry shrimp.
I put them in my tank. And they were active for a little while. Then I noticed the cherry shrimp would stay in the log untill the water was dark.

After about 2 weeks of having them I could officially not find either of them for about a month...

A few days ago my blue shrimp emerged from my driftwood as if he had been on an adventure for a long time! But now he looks like he has color change on him. It could be because I feed enhancing color flakes and he gets the pieces of then....

Or could he be one of the oebt shrimp?

Really I just would like opinions. I have a few pics flash on, a few pics flash off.

image-3452087606.jpg

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-1567713722.jpg
    image-1567713722.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 103
  • image-293864044.jpg
    image-293864044.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 97
  • image-2550162068.jpg
    image-2550162068.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 99
I'm going to have to go with Blueberry. See the line down the middle of him? That's usually a sign of a Neocaridina shrimp variety. A Blue Tiger belongs to Caridina. Still pretty either way you slice it!

Word of warning though. Since he and RCS come from the same Neocaridina, they will breed together. This, sadly, can result in wild coloration for future shrimp generations...which happens to be brown.

Oh.. Eww lol.
Do shrimp have sexes like that?...
How can you tell male/female.
I haven't even seen my other shrimp but like twice since i got him.

Males are usually thinner and lighter colored. This will be hard for you to tell since you only have two and they are different kinds with nothing to compare too! lol

A female can have a saddle, you may have to look it up on google. It is a saddle shaped lighter color across the back, eggs under her tail, called "berried". You can look that up too.

Oh ok cool.

I actually found my other shrimp... Fully decayed. I wonder what happened to him...

Well probably not if you haven't seen him but sometimes it is their exo skeleton from molting...

I would recommend looking into a couple of Amano Japonica - Algae eating shrimp, (but they like Hikari omnivore sinking wafers too.) They are big and easy to see and are fun to watch. They will get along with other shrimp. They like Java Moss, or other moss to pick at and hang out in.

Big deal is to check your water parameters and make sure your water is very clean, low Ammonia, under .25 ppm Having lots of plants in the tank helps with the using up excess waste too, as an extra measure for keeping good water params. Do you have a master test kit? Online they are about $17.

I do. I have many healthy fish. The blue shrimp hangs out all the time all over the tank, but they would both hide in the drift wood with my bristle nose pleco.

But the red one always seemed to hide from the light. Even tho I don't have a lot of lighting per say. It was kind of odd. And then one day I saw what you said the exoskeleton. I just assumed he had died. Idk If they are sensitive to salts. Or maybe the medicine I was using before hand was harmful. Idk. But I never see him. I just assume he died lol

Shrimp are extremely sensitive to medicines and especially meds with copper, so check on what it was. Even residue can kill them from previous treatments.

Malachite green and some other chemicals that was in the med. no copper tho.

Back
Top Bottom