Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2003, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
Bluegill

I would like to set up a tank with blugill, and I was wondering what other fish would do well with them. Also, I was wodering if they do okay in a heated aquarium, or do they have to have cold water.

Old 07-07-2003, 06:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would recommend bluegills to live in cold water but i don't think it matters too much if it has a heater inside. It breeds in warm water 67-80F so it shouldn't matter. Check this site out for more info

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water...h/3dblgill.htm

hope it helps

Old 07-07-2003, 06:54 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Also verify with your state game and fishing commision that its leagal to keep this fish in an aquarium. Some states have laws aganst keeping 'game fish' in aquariums.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bluegill would be fairly aggressive. Though larger fish should be fine, smaller fish would be dinner.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A buddy of mine keeps bluegills in his aquarium here in FL. He has been doing it for several months. Overtime, about 3-4 months, his bluegills seem to change color. They go from a very colorful fish, all the way to black. I can only assume it is because he is not caring for the fish properly. Last time I looked at his thermometer, it was on about 75F. I would agree with Azn Dreamer in that they need cooler water to live properly.

When they do turn colors, he throws them back into the pond and catches some new ones. He has tried to keep bass as well, but bass are an aggressive fish that needs to be fed live foods. Bluegills on the other hand will eat anything from lettuce to bread to crickets...

Tags
bluegill

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com