Bluegills...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmoor311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I was wondering what type of fish these are, I caught them from my nana's pond as little wigglers last summer. I don't know if they are, in fact bluegills. I have been feeding them brine shrimp, which they eat happily. They both are in a 10 gallon tank, and their names are Bonnie and Clyde. Is the tank too small for both of them? Is the setting ok? Thanks for answering, these questions probably sound ridiculous.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390880475.855691.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390880763.801179.jpg

I'm pretty sure they're bluegills, and depending on the region you live in you could try to get a more specific idea of what kind of bluegill. Once you find that out you'll know more about them and their adult size. However, I can tell you that you are going to quickly need a much larger tank.
Also, if setting them free in the wild crosses your mind, I'd be causious. Most animals cant survive after being in captivity this long. They never learned to "make it on their own", but once they are much larger a bass pro shop may consider taking them.

Hmm I have never thought of that I will have to ask the shops if I can't get a bigger tank

They look like bluegills to me as well. A 10 gallon is no where near big enough for them. I've only know one person that kept them...they were larger and the tank was a 75 gallon. I think he had then a few years, but that was all.

I would research the requirements of these fish and definitely get them a bigger tank if you plan to keep them. I have also heard they are messy, so frequent water changes and good filtration is going to be a must.

bluegills can get to 3 pounds, most are a bit smaller depending on type. I have had a few here and there and you do need a large tank if you plan on keeping them. I have always thought they were the north american version of a discus, as a avid fisherman I have caught thousands of them over the years and they can be absolutely gorgeous.

My guess on tank size would be a 30 gallon also have you ever fed them pond food

I don't think 30 gallons will be sufficient enough to house these fish as they grow. I've seen bluegill get very big.

I agree that t5hey are sub species of blue gill however I must disagree when it comes to tank size , I would recommend a 50g tank and plan to go to an 80g if you intend to keep them .

Last edited:
Good news!

I gave one of the bluegills to a friend of mine and kept one. I have gotten a 90 gallon for him and his colors have gotten so much brighter! Definitely happier than before!

Might look up mosquito fish, another native fish are often kept with them. Mosquito fish are a livebearer and their fry provide a food source for the bluegill.

If you want to in that size tank you could keep several black banded sunfish. They are the smallest of the sunfish (3"max.), and that would allow you to keep a group or a breeding pair. They spawn just like a regular sunfish, would be fascinating to watch.
Do your research, but want to do a native species tank myself.

Two good places to get native fish.
Jonahsaquatium.com. and

http://www.aquaculturestore.com/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom