BN Pleco's fighting like crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got two BN pleco's a few months ago. Up until recently they were fine with each other, but tonight it's all after kicking off. Usually one of them seems to be the alpha (I'll call "A") and if they ever meet each other he will show some aggression and the other one would run away (I'll call him "B") and that would be that. Tonight though, B took a stand. He was eating away on some cucumber when A came along after a few minutes and chased him off as usual. (I have a slice each in each of the areas they hang out).

Anyway, just afterwards A start munching away on some driftwood, and B came at him. It's the first time I've seen him stand up to A. They had a serious fight for about 3 minutes. I tried not to intervene but neither were backing down so I scared them both away from each other in the hope they would calm down.

A went back to his hiding place and after a few seconds he actively went searching for B for another fight. Eventually B stood down and ran away but A kept chasing and chasing for a fight regardless of what area they were in. Things have calmed down now, but do you think this will continue? I was really worried one of them was going to get hurt.

I have a 200 litre tank full of real plants and huge bits of driftwood so I didn't think this would ever become an issue. They rarely ever see each other at all.

Are they both males really?
They are pretty to sex.
2 males may fight during breeding season or if the tank doesn't offer enough space for each to claim territory.

Are they both males really?
They are pretty to sex.
2 males may fight during breeding season or if the tank doesn't offer enough space for each to claim territory.

They're still too young to sex i think, neither of them have any bristles yet. There's plenty of room and hiding places, it's just tonight they seem to have been really bad. I guess I'll just keep an eye on them to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

Back
Top Bottom