BNC safe for my 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donkey Gun

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Gooood evening...

I purchased a couple bristle nose catfish for my 29 gallon, and those little dudes cleaned the entire tank within a week, and since then I've thrown out my algae brush.
:)

A couple weeks ago, I started up an underwater jungle in a 10 gallon complete with baby tears, java fern, Aponontgen Crispus, swords etc...

In addition the tank is stocked with 5 Furcata Rainbows, 5 green neon tetras, and 2 cherry shrimp. There are also 2 tiny hitchhiker snails from a plant I bought which includes even more snail eggs.

My question...
Would it be safe to put one of the BNC in the 10 gallon when some algae begins to appear on the glass? Im hoping my plants will eventually take over so not much algae should appear, but in the event it does.

My concerns:
-BNC would attack cherry shrimp or other smaller fish.
-BNC could tear up all my carefully planted ground cover. Im using pool filter sand, so uprooting is fairly easy to do.

I could wait for the snails to hatch, which I've counted 16, who knows how many more... I certainly don't want a snail infestation though.

Your thoughts?

I would say your 10 gallon is pretty maxed out. I would not recommend adding a BN pleco.

It wouldn't be a permanent move, it would be more of a business trip for his janitorial services..

I got my stocking ideas for my 10 gallon from this forum in a thread I opened. I wasn't under the impression it was maxed out.

IMO you're maxed out fish-wise, all the room in the 10 gallon will be taken up by the movement and activity of the schoolers.

You could add a nerite snail instead if you were looking at something to eat algae. Lot less bioload and good for small tanks :)

Donkey Gun said:
It wouldn't be a permanent move, it would be more of a business trip for his janitorial services..

I got my stocking ideas for my 10 gallon from this forum in a thread I opened. I wasn't under the impression it was maxed out.

Your 10 isnt overstocked, just at its limit IMO. Id say you could move a bnp over for a day or so, but i wouldnt. Constantly moving a fish could stress it, plus, plecos have a huge bioload, and that would definatly do your stocked 10 gallon no favors.

Honestly, just scrub the algea off. You wont get much

Thank you!

I think I'll just wait for the snails I received from a plant to do their share of the work.

Sorry, I didn't see that thread. I am just stating my opinion... although I haven't kept green neons (and I do understand that they stay significantly smaller than their cousins), I have been keeping furcatus for several years.

That said, I must have misunderstood you because I don't see any problem with a business trip. I just wouldn't leave the pleco in there permanently.

I think, as long as the bn is small, it would be ok for it make a short trip over to the 10g. :) I wouldn't ever recommend putting him in there for too long because the bn is pretty messy, so once he gets some size on him he could affect the ammo levels in the 10g tank, even on short trips. But, for now I think its totally fine. Your algae levels in the 10g will surely decrease once your plants grow in a little, especially if you limit how long the lights are on.
I do agree though that the algae would probably be just as easy to scrub off. Its usually really soft when its new. It gets more difficult to scrub the longer its in there because it gets sort of hard and crusty, but if its new growth, it should come off easily.

I have now reached a point where im considering sending the BNC over to my 10 gallon for some delicious Algea.

I just want to make sure that he will not be aggressive towards my cherry shrimp...
any thoughts?

Thank you, good to know.

I'm sure the Moe's (what I call my paired BNCs) will be greatly appreciative.

Back
Top Bottom